Should I keep my 301?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
The info is kinda hard to come by, but GM went to using the 301T block only in 80/81 whether it was a turbo or not . That should tell you something.

Early na blocks had oiling issues which helped kill the cranks.

The 301T block is supposed to be beefed up, the turbo crank got rolled fillet on the it, rods got bigger bolts and bigger wrist pins (I think).

Per usual GM, they seem to have gotten it right just before they stopped making them.

Not a sales pitch here, but having another block has benefits also.

You can build the "new" motor and keep your car running. Toward the end of the build you will need to pull your engine and swap some parts but there will be alot less "down time".

Lots of projects have died midstream when the car can't be enjoyed!

It will be tough fighting your Chevy "urges", but a Pontiac needs to be built for torque at low rpm.

grant's prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2007
Great White North
my 2 cents

I have 2 301 4 speed cars, both original, though one had a 3 speed auto put in it. I am fixing up the one with the 301 and saginaw intact. THat said, I have a 1980 with 400 pont, TH400 and soon a 8.5 3.42. IMHO, I would try to find a 326 if possible, I like them better than a 350. OR, drive it as is, it is something to say you have one of 236 cars, and how many of them are left? I bet 100 or less. If you put in a larger motor, the saginaw will be suspect on its ability to hold up, might need to go to a m21 or t10.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
shotgun said:
"p&p the heads and maybe bigger valves. better cam,flat tops", that's chevy speak. :) .
what can i say ! i am a chevy man !!
i love and respect all gm brand of motors but don't know much about them except the chev

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor