Sluggish Car need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Check up on timing before you start messing around.. I'll sugest 12-16 initial with 30-34 at 3000rpm. Check with vacuum advance disconnected.. Vacuum advance should be manifold vacuum, and preferably does not add more than 12 in idle.

Next. Do you know if it is running on all cylinders?
How about the fuel filter, and pressure?

If your supposedly powerful engine wont do a burnout it is not your gearing. My old stock 305 150hp had no problems spinning the tires on a 2.41 rear end. You even have a stall in it?

If none of the above is the problem, swap the converter

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
autonaut said:
Check up on timing before you start messing around.. I'll sugest 12-16 initial with 30-34 at 3000rpm. Check with vacuum advance disconnected.. Vacuum advance should be manifold vacuum, and preferably does not add more than 12 in idle.

Next. Do you know if it is running on all cylinders?
How about the fuel filter, and pressure?

If your supposedly powerful engine wont do a burnout it is not your gearing. My old stock 305 150hp had no problems spinning the tires on a 2.41 rear end. You even have a stall in it?

If none of the above is the problem, swap the converter
Okay I will , but I was saying the same thing I had a 85 caprice landau with a 305 and it would spin tires with ease broke hella tire belts

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
Disconnect the fuel line at carburator and put it in a see thorugh bottle. Have a friend crank it while you check if it is filling the bottle. It should pour in quite alot. If you have a filter after this point change it while you're at it.

Just a tip:)

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
autonaut said:
Disconnect the fuel line at carburator and put it in a see thorugh bottle. Have a friend crank it while you check if it is filling the bottle. It should pour in quite alot. If you have a filter after this point change it while you're at it.

Just a tip:)
Just my luck the electric fuel pump just went out don't hear it priming or anything Ima change it. Ima post videos Friday of the car runnin and driving and such.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
guys, he stated in the original post that he has a 2800 stall in it.... I think this coupled with gear ratio has alot to do with it

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
1evilregal said:
guys, he stated in the original post that he has a 2800 stall in it.... I think this coupled with gear ratio has alot to do with it

That's exactly what I was getting at when I asked what kind of gearing he was running. The cam, converter and gears need to match. Ever driven a car with too much cam and not enough gearing? They're dogs off of the line.

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
G-Body_Vet said:
1evilregal said:
guys, he stated in the original post that he has a 2800 stall in it.... I think this coupled withguy gear ratio has alot to do with it

That's exactly what I was getting at when I asked what kind of gearing he was running. The cam, converter and gears need to match. Ever driven a car with too much cam and not enough gearing? They're dogs off of the line.
So do you think if I put the stock converter on it would be Okay I was planning on Droppin the transmission to put in a floor shift anyway.

autonaut

Greasemonkey
Feb 22, 2014
And do you know how stall converters work? They're not static you know. 2800rpm stall is dependant on alot of different variables. If the engine has no power, or the brakes cant hold the car, the stall will be whatever the power/brake combo will allow.

85cutlassSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2014
Differential is limited slip aka posi

Attachments

• 20141008_175734.jpg
    20141008_175734.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor