So lets play the ID game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
So what is this out of do you think?

http://the-michels.com/gallery/Rear-end

It was sitting in what was left of a Grand National. Thing is friggin huge compared to the 7.5" axle. It can't be the origonal. I saw it was there and said I would take it, they cut it out and loaded it in the trunk of my 89 cutless. I didn't realize till I got home that it wasn't origonal. Oh well I can still use it I think.

Well I digress so anyone got an educated guess on what it came out of? Maybe older A-body? It looked like it fit fine in the GN so not sure if they moved some stuff to put it in or what, but will bolt in my regal I think.

Vince

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The photos with the ID numbers in them aren't very clear, I can't really make out the numbers. How are the rear wheel cylinders attached to the backing plates? Are the wheel cylinders bolted to the backing plates, or held on by a circular retainer clip?. You should probably take some measurements of this axle, and compare them with the measurements of the existing axle in your G body and see if they match.

zerex

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2006
:(

Further update, nope not a 8.5 rearend. It's a B 8.2 ring gear 10 bolt from a

GM 8.2 B or P Axle

11 1/2" Irregular Cover - 10 Holes
8.20" Diameter Ring Gear
1.438" Diameter Pinion - 27 Splines "B" or "P" Axle Only
Non C-clip type

64-70 Olds F-85
64-71 Tempest/GTO
67-71Firebird

These units were used for a number of years and are strong, but there is a certain lack of parts availability from the factory.

taken from
http://www.oldsmobility.com/10bolt-tech.htm

On a positive note, a guy I was working with just happens to have a 66 nova rearend which is also a 8.2, carrying a posi and 3.55 gear set I can pick up for $100 so it will work out in the end, muahhaahah

So anyone had one of these under a g-body? It was under a GN when I got it, maybe it's bolt in, hehe.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Nope, 8.2" are not bolt ins. Look, I still think you got a 8.5" 10-bolt and you should be happy about that as they are good strong axle assemblies and in high demand for G-Bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor