OLDS Sometimes when the wife goes shopping

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
She wins big.. she went to go grab some craft supplies to make Christmas gifts at hobby lobby yesterday. She came back home and showed me what she got and in my normal "uh huh, yep, yeah" answers as she showed me her scores. Then she said "and I saw this and thought you might like it" so I glance back towards her and she whips this out of the bag.

My excitement level went through the roof, I couldn't believe one of these was actually on a store shelf for purchase, and the fact that she bought it for me. I think I was more excited about this than my last purchase of parts for the Cutlass in the garage.

Th best part, my wife knows me so well.. she bought 2 of them. 1 for me to build and the other for me to leave in the package and/or build at a later time.

She did so good that I was expecting her to then tell me she bought something huge and/or expensive but that was not the case.

I'll wrap it and let it surprise me again on Christmas morning with my son.

Another thing I was unaware of, was level 5 models. I had only previously seen up to level 3 in my younger years of building model cars.

PXL_20211205_233459037.jpg PXL_20211205_235229530~2.jpg PXL_20211205_235238421~2.jpg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 16 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Dude! Do NOT pull the cellophane off that box!! Not sure where it would fall in the collector category but unmolested 1st and 2nd generation still in the box and unopened model cars are right up there in auction price on E-BAy> Visit that site every so often and models that I bought for 3.50 as a kid are now seriously hugging the 50.00 mark. Even parts and brutally ravaged kits are demanding high ducats. Not saying you should flip it but definitely leave it unbuilt. As an antique it should appreciate in $$$. Mega congrats to your wife for having such a keen eye.

Nick

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
build it!

Reactions: 1 user

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Dude! Do NOT pull the cellophane off that box!! Not sure where it would fall in the collector category but unmolested 1st and 2nd generation still in the box and unopened model cars are right up there in auction price on E-BAy> Visit that site every so often and models that I bought for 3.50 as a kid are now seriously hugging the 50.00 mark. Even parts and brutally ravaged kits are demanding high ducats. Not saying you should flip it but definitely leave it unbuilt. As an antique it should appreciate in $$$. Mega congrats to your wife for having such a keen eye.

Nick
I can always go buy more. I asked if these were all they had or if they had more, she said there was at least 2 more at that time.

I'm going to build at least 1. The other may stay packed away or build it later.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I see the Vin 9 exhaust and air cleaner. I wonder if the FE3X has the 30 hp Y pipe and shorty headers and 5 spd shifter shown at all? I love the details in models, amazing present!

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Buy them all!

• Agree

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That's worth a nice dinner at the very least. Keep the best one in the box, build one and put it in a plastic display case and GO BUT THE REST OF THEM! Best wife ever!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nice score! Your wife is a keeper!

I picked up one of those same 442 models at HL last year about this time, but haven't opened it yet. Wife was hunting down Christmas decor stuff and they had all sorts of junk on sale. Like what your wife said, they had several of them. They must've seen a profitable venture and made another run or something. I recall they were pretty scarce there for a while.

I still couldn't help to critique the model on the box for "authenticity". I know there's always concessions made on model cars, but I'd have had corrections. I'm thinking this started life as an 83 H/O kit.

One thing I think I'd do if building it "stock" is get some RWL Eagles for it. They provide naked, smooth tires with the kit, but I'd spend a few bucks to get something more accurate looking:
FMR-150%20lg.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

markaria

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2021
thats sweet! I put together probably 100+ 1/24 scale models when I was a kid...(probably messed my brains up with all the fumes! lol) I used to get stupid with them....using redsewing thread for spark plug wires/battery cables/painting everything/drilling out exhaust tips so they looked real etc... your post brings back some long forgotten memories!

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor