stock type brake upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
i am going through my bu's front brakes and looking for suggestions on what to upgrade the front brakes with. yes i know almost every forum that talks of this says to get late model s-10 complete spindles/twin bore calipers but i wasn't looking into doing all that and time to find that stuff. i seen online that there are oversized calipers that are 2.75'' bores compared to the stock 2.5'' and wonder how much extra grab they will give. anyone ever run them? also looked around at like willwood caliper kits and SSBC and realize that i'm still running a 10'' or so rotor but would the twin bore calipers grab pretty good when matched with drilled or cross slotted rotors? which style of rotor is best anyhow? i have already installed new front flex hoses and new Master cylinder thats aluminum with a 15/16'' bore(84 mcss stock) and ditched my old cast iron leaking 7/8'' bore. when i stomp the gas trying to do a brake stand most of the time i just roll through my brakes.

othtim

Master Mechanic
Mar 23, 2010
Check out the company "US Brake". They sell a lot of stock-style stuff that is great for brake mods, and pretty cheap too.

As for "drilled and slotted" rotors... why bother?? Personally, I go through rotors once every six months. Whats the point of buying super expensive rotors. If you buy tougher pads they will just eat the rotors anyways. I just buy the cheapest rotors I can get, and then replace them twice a year. 60 bucks twice a year, no big deal.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
ill check them out thanks.

the wagon has been retired from dd duty and maybe gets 1-2k a year weekend cruiser and chiling in the garage. i dont take it out once winter comes or salt hits the roads. so thats i am why spending the extra $$ for the best brake parts. i understand what you are saying though and thanks.

larryo454

Master Mechanic
Aug 16, 2010
Hi use a hydro boost system it has more stopping power and it runs off your PS system not vacuum. look for a 93 astro van ect is your best bet.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Aside from the front brakes you can use both long soft shoes in the back with a stonger S-10 wheel cylinders. This will give you more holding power on the line. I did this to the GN back in the day and it helped hold more boost on the line. It may also require a proportioning valve. Otherwise the first time you smack the brakes in a panic stop on a wet road ye ole arse end will want to lock up before the front.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
i have new stock rear brakes and in a panic stop on dry roads the rear already locks up while the front won't. :oops: bad for control. i have been looking at ssbc and wilwood caliper kits lately. the wilwood single piston looks like an alum stock caliper and ssbc has a twin bore. would it be a safe assumption that the twin is better than the single bore?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what pads are you running up front? A real good set of pads can stop these car pretty quick.

79malibu

Master Mechanic
Jul 30, 2007
south dakota
stock front pads as of now but will change them out once i decide on what to do with calipers. i read that ceramic pads dont give off dust to dirty rims? whats the best street pads that wont squeak?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If pads don't give off dust then they aren't working. I use EBC pads that cost me close to $100 but have saved me thousands

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I have had very good luck with Bendix titanium metallic pads.
We used them in our shop for years and they are lifetime guaranteed. We never had a comeback from these pads
The last time I did the brakes on my El Camino I upgraded the ft rotors to power stop slotted drilled replacements.
I like them they don't fade, in city traffic, and work well even here in Phoenix with the heat we have.
The rears got new Bendix shoes, wheel cylinders, and a pair of their drums.

Attachments

• imagesCAGOT6YJ.jpg
    imagesCAGOT6YJ.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 1,035
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor