Swap regular instrument cluster for rally style

Status
Not open for further replies.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I pulled a couple rally style instrument clusters from a 79 and 80 Cutlass today. I guess you call they rally style. They have rpms, temps, pressures etc. I would like to swap out my normal instrument cluster from my wagon and put one of these in.

What is involved in doing that? Are there any wiring changes that need to be made under the dash? Is it worth the effort?

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Gauges only look good. Don't trust them.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Well, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I have the rally pac and my oil pressure gauge stayed around 20psi, voltage around 12V, temp worked most of the times, and gas was a quarter off(prob bad sending unit). I just put aftermarket gauges under the radio for water temp, voltage, and oil pressure. Better safe than sorry.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Some cars are very easy to swap over. Pontiac A/G bodies are wired for both types, just plug and play. My Chevy I had to do a little creative wiring.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
When I went from the granny pac to the rally gauges I had to do some moving of terminals but I used the very same linf to go mine and they came out great. As was mentioned, the gauges are over 20 years old now and mine weren't the most accurate. It seems as if it's hit or miss.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Well, I just realized that the rally gauges don't have the PRNDSL indicator. So, I am not going to use them. I'll probably put them on Ebay. Bummer.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
U can prob sell them on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor