Swapping SBC oil pans

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Has anyone ever swapped oil pans on a sbc while still in your g-body? Is it difficult and does the motor need to be unbolted and hoisted up to swap the pans?

deathproof

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2009
saint louis
Yeah, just unbolt and jack up the front of the engine as high as you can. Then pull the bolts an pan.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Anyone running a 7 quart pan? I'm looking at this one to replace the crap chrome one I have. Have a feeling it may be causing some of my leak issues at the front of it.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
patmckinneyracing said:
Anyone running a 7 quart pan? I'm looking at this one to replace the crap chrome one I have. Have a feeling it may be causing some of my leak issues at the front of it.

Chrome = leaks every time when it comes to an oil pan. I am running a 7Qt summit brand pan for yrs now with no issues. And have used the same pan in 4 other gbodies with no issues its made very well.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i think you have to jack the engine up REALLY high to get the pan around the crankshaft and oil pickup.
i have a 7qt canton pan with deep sump etc.

use the fel-pro 1pc blue gasket. they claim they're reusable, but i wouldn't count on it. but they seal great!

whiskybent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2010
You should have to unbolt the engine and jack it up as high as you can to get enough clearance,i used a chrome pan on an engine one time and it leaked also and will never use another one on anything that gets drove,they are basically just for show.And i have reused the 1 piece gasket that megaladon mentioned and had no problems with that gasket.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Definitely use the 1pc gasket. They seal damn well.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
i've heard about leaving the engine in place disconnecting the pan bolts and spinning the crank until you can pull the pan backwards in stages but I dont exactly have experience with this technique

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
patmckinneyracing said:

If you do get a 7 quart pan get one with a windage tray or if it doesn't install a windage tray...I put a moroso 7 quart pan on mine which doesn't have a windage tray and the oil pressure drops when you get into the pedal on the highway..so I have toi drop the pan and put one in now, it would have been nice if moroso suggested the windage tray with this pan.. :|

the other thing to make it an easier job is to pick up studs for the oil pan....it's easier to keep the gasket in place

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm getting the stud kit as well pontiacgp. As for the one piece gasket, I already have that currently with the chrome pan. This oil pan didn't leak on the last motor I ran for five years with the 4 piece oil pan gasket. Why its doing it now, I have no idea. I did put the silicone in on all 4 corners, not on the entire gasket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor