T-top conversion....hmmmm....

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
DEFINETLY STAYING TUNED!!!! :!: cant wait for the outcome pics.anxious to see "your approach" to this "heavy mod"like i mentioned above i have a rust free mcss roof dipped in por product just sitting in my storage corner.do you know if the "tops" (where the quarter window glass is)are the same on the g's? in other words could i use this mcss t-roof on say a regal? i know the bottom halves(quarter window) are different,as the regal's are straight,and the mc's and cutty's have the slight curvature to them??? i recently sold my frame-off t-topped rust free 87 mcss to a forum homie,so im definetly gonna be looking into this conversion,but would REALLY like to fab my donor top to a regal,for a possible "gn clone".keep the pics and updates comming,and ANY info on this would be GREATLY appreciated!!! 8)

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
Here is the roof loosely installed the t roof
IMG_1304.jpg
panel is slipped over the hardtop paneland held in place glue and weld is next
IMG_1301.jpg
IMG_1302.jpg
IMG_1303.jpg

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
BADASS!!!!! thank you SO much for this documentation of your buiLD.keep the pics coming!!!

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
Ok have ground the leading edge of the hardtop new roof edge where we cut it about 2-3 inches wide.We ground the inside of the t roof edge about the same amount .We then applied the panel adhesive to both surfaces and slid the panels together the blue panel on top positioned tke roof in place clamped with vise grips .The next step will be to weld the a and b pillars and that will be followed by welding the substructure of the t roof to the existing frame of the 2 dr hard top .This will make the roof as strong as a t roof car in case of a roll over (god forbid) If you look carefully you can see where we opened up the frame
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1308.jpg
IMG_1312.jpg
IMG_1309.jpg

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
We used a die grinder to trim the panels to help align the pillars the rh b pillar has about 1/8 gap so we will tuck a couple pieces of sheetmetal into the b pillar and pull them behind the seam to help bridge the gap where we will weld the post together .I will try and get a pic of that for you .More to come

speedbuff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 20, 2012
Well as promised here is the next step roof fully welded and ground where applicable .That is the panel glue we used GREAT STUFF
IMG_1317.jpg
IMG_1319.jpg
IMG_1320.jpg

Lowproelco

Greasemonkey
Jul 19, 2011
So Cal
lookin good bro cant wait too see it all done.... didnt know people stil used clothes lines still :wink: keep up the good work..

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
GRACIAS!!! 8) do you know if the regals are the same from the top of the quarter window? i really would like to do this using my spare monte t-roof i have saved from a past part-out :wink: !!! keep the "step- by-step"comming!!!! this young grasshoppa is all :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor