EL CAMINO Tail light witing

Status
Not open for further replies.

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
Ok so I have an 84 El Camino with a ratchet shifter and have put in a dash steering column and other misc parts from a 78 Cutlass salon which was a standard car, I'm trying to hook up the old reverse light wires from the Cutlass wiring harness to my B&M ratchet shifter my best guess to what is the correct plug is one with two wires one green and one blue I was told from the previous owner that the old reverse switch was plugged directly into the standard transmission and was wondering if that is the green and blue wires I'm looking at and if not what wires should I be looking for attached is a photo of the whipped that goes from the plug under the dash threw the fire wall

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
How about an introduction? A few pics of what you're working on wouldn't hurt either.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
the blue and green are the back up wires, in a standard they are plugged into the switch in the transmission. On an automatic the switch is at the bottom of the column. The blue wire is a switched 12v, the green goes to the backup lights. B&M sell a switch for the back up lights and there are youtube videos for the reverse lights...

https://www.summitracing.com/int/search/product-line/b-m-neutral-reverse-safety-switches
Sweet my b&m shifter has a switch on it just needed to know if those were the correct wires to hook up to it

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
How about an introduction? A few pics of what you're working on wouldn't hurt either.
20180807_162350.jpg
20180807_162250.jpg
20180807_162341.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That harness is just the extension harness to the trans switch via the firewall. I wouldn't cut that one, it can be used by one of us stick guys. I would (& done for a friend's '69 Chevelle) is make a harness to plug in to the dash end & the included switch with the shifter. I've used one of those alternator extension harness with the male & female pigtails, I try to make all my wire work to match O.E. style of assembly.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

84 elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2018
That harness is just the extension harness to the trans switch via the firewall. I wouldn't cut that one, it can be used by one of us stick guys. I would (& done for a friend's '69 Chevelle) is make a harness to plug in to the dash end & the included switch with the shifter. I've used one of those alternator extension harness with the male & female pigtails, I try to make all my wire work to match O.E. style of assembly.
Middle photo is of the end under the dash wasn't all that visible just wanted to make sure it was clear what I was talking about by showing photos of the pigtail

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I noticed the pigtail rightnoff the bat, that black pigtail (blue & light green wires) is the same for all cars regardless of transmission. The automatic cars column has the switch in the general location the pigtail is spuring out of the main harness. For what it worth, if you were to get another automatic column (either an floor shift or coulmn shift with the shifter mount ears ground off & filled in) all you would of needed to do would be plug the pigtail into the column mounted switch & reconnect the coulmns shifter linkage to the trans again. Then on the trans unstall a floorshift shifter bracket that the shifter cable will work the coumn linkage with, engaging the back up lights & keeping the neutral saftey switch working too.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor