temporary pop up garages

Status
Not open for further replies.

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
i am looking into purchasing a temp, pop up garage to store a project in till i can get back to working on it. what brand garages has anyone here purchased and how long has it help up for you? looking at the canvas / tarp material type garages.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
according to a friend who bought one don't buy a cheap one...why not find some reviews on the ones you are interested in

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
Besides being a pain to set up and secure in the ground. I noticed it held more moisture than bare open ground was. Depending if your setting up on gravel or lawn. Mine was used on the lawn and was always wet. I found buying a large blue tarp then covering with a car cover was alot simpler. Gave it to my uncle who loves it for his diesel powered toys and repairing tractors in during the frozen months. Has a 50+ year old contraption like a Bob cat he puts the torpedo heater in for a few hours fires easier I guess. But warm weather months it can make for a pita.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
When they are on sale at Costco, those are the best. Plan on $170-200. I got three summers out of one before the sun ate through the top. I picked up a replacement top at Costco the next year for about $60. Be sure to anchor the poles - these things will fly away.

Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have some, but they are not as tough in the sun and wind.

Put a cheap HF tarp over the top as a sacrificial sun shade, and they will survive much longer.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Besides being a pain to set up and secure in the ground. I noticed it held more moisture than bare open ground was. Depending if your setting up on gravel or lawn. Mine was used on the lawn and was always wet. I found buying a large blue tarp then covering with a car cover was alot simpler. Gave it to my uncle who loves it for his diesel powered toys and repairing tractors in during the frozen months. Has a 50+ year old contraption like a Bob cat he puts the torpedo heater in for a few hours fires easier I guess. But warm weather months it can make for a pita.

sitting a car on grass is worse than giving it a salt bath

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
I originally bought one in 1997 "Shelter Logic", put up a second one in 2005 "Rhino Shelter", I changed the cover in 2007 "Rhino Shelter" on original one, second one still standing fine, original one frame where contacting the ground got rusty and weak, so I took it down spring 2015. Now I live in NE Ohio, we get a lot of snow, mine are on gravel, but I still have a plastic tarp on the ground, it keeps it pretty dry inside. I did have the cable anchors fail on my second shelter they basically rusted thru the cable, tent overturned in a storm, but never hurt anything, rolled it back upright got new anchors and it's holding fine. I never meant to have these for long term, but money got tight and a new garage is still not up yet.

Lazarus

Greasemonkey
Dec 18, 2015
Monongahela Pa
sitting a car on grass is worse than giving it a salt bath

Vs brick street in a "historical area" with nosy neighbors and a "hard core code enforcement" . every time I start the olds should see the looks I get . As if I wore a devils costume to easter mass. Lol thinking of painting every panel in a different color just to piss them off. Uncle has mine on a 2x6 platform using 1 1/2 thick rough cut lumber floors under a huge maple . Bought mine for $350.00 at a army Navy store.

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
i suggest which ever brand you go with to weld all the joints together and get 5 gallon homedepot buckets filled with concrete as anchors i have an enclosed type canvas shelter it was great for a year but after 2 years of florida storms and heat the poles snapped one by one so i got pissed welded all the joints and swapped out the cinder blocks for buckets

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have had a Harbor Freight portable garage for probably 12 years going on my 4th tarp cover this year, mine is off to the side of my driveway on hard dirt and I dug out 2' tracks on each side where the tires ride and put down pea gravel and then put patio blocks over that.
I also threw away the 8" rods to secure it and made my own out of galvanized ground rods from work I think they are two feet long each to secure it to the ground.
The tarp cover works well even with the snow but I try to push it off if it is heavy snow and I have been contemplating using thin sheet aluminum to cover the top portion just to help in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor