The 1981-to-1979 malibu rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
How's the quality on the hood and deck lid?

The car looks great!!!

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
I capped my dash today. The fit wasn't exactly perfect around the gauge cluster or the passenger vent, but it should turn out just fine. I cut out most of the speaker grille but left the "structure" part there since it was still solid. If you remove the speaker and look at the dash above it you'll see there are two extra thick ribs between the sets of holes in the speaker grill. They just barely give you enough glue in the tube. A bigger tube of glue would be nice.

High spots cut down, dash and cap sanded, cleaned, cap pre-fit, glue applied.

CAM00126_zpsr4sjc3cg.jpg

CAM00124_zpsll5gsvet.jpg

CAM00121_zpsfz8hcc2m.jpg

Clamp, clamp clamp. clamp.

CAM00120_zpsdk6ym6yw.jpg

Clamp. clamp, clamp, clamp, clamp, clamp.

CAM00119_zps5klmleqa.jpg

CAM00118_zpsqqem9evl.jpg

Tomorrow I'll take the clamps off and see how well it turned out.

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
Things are still moving along.
I got the dash finished and painted, ready to install.
I also finished the 3rd gen F body 5 speed steering column swap in the Malibu. Everything lines up and the length between a marked spot on the firewall and the end of the steering column shaft is correct. I need to tack weld the firewall flange to the column and remove the steering column to fully weld it. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow and if anyone has any questions on how to do the swap, just ask, it's easy...easier than finding a 3 or 4 speed G body column anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor