The cost-benefit to owning cars??

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
We have a materialistic judgemental society. Most use material as a "social status".

Some of us still operate on necessity and run what we have, nothing fancy because no need. Keep them going and no car payments too. 🙂

Reactions: 3 users

NJ Longroof

Random guy
Feb 27, 2020
Even from someone like me who loves cars; I'm starting to think the cost-benefit is actually pretty low unfortunately and it often feels like a scam... You'll probably just make fun of me for pointing this out but ever consider even a POS old beater car costs thousands of dollars to keep on the road yet is anyone really that impressed by it?? When you fill up a Kwik Trip is a cute girl working there like "wow, I'm so impressed you were able to not only purchase that vehicle but also do oil changes, brakes, new tires, etc. and it's amazing you could fill er up when gas costs $4.00 gal!" Unless you're a trust fund kid with your dad's Ferrari nobody cares what you drive! Owning and maintaining a nice vehicle used to be something men really took pride in and the opposite sex noticed. What made me really think about it was when I spent endless hours cruising around the cities in my late wealthy grandpa's nice vehicles like his Escalade and Yukon Denali.... Nobody cared, most the time nobody will even see what you're pulling up in in today's world. If all modern people care about is watching TV and internet why bother maintaining expensive mechanical assets in the real world?
Looks comments questions offers. I get them all the time cruising in the wagon. From a blue haired twenty something to a 70 + African American gentleman and everyone in between. People must be boring in your neck of the woods, no offense.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
When you start worrying about sinking money into your G-body, put down the wrench, and slowly back out of the garage without making eye contact. Then make up a for sale ad and get rid of your car. The party's over. There's nothing more satisfying outside of the bedroom IMO than wrenching on a car. It's the automotive equivalent to a little blue pill. o_O

Cars, especially older ones, were never, and will never, be cheap. It's like the family dog. Sure, you may have got him cheap or even given to you, but food costs and vet bills over the years end up being more than you would have paid for him "new". But you won't get rid of him because he becomes part of the family. Car people already are aware of this going in.

The fun part about having a second car as a fun toy is that it's not your primary vehicle, you can park it and not feed it for a while if you don't want, and they really don't take up any money unless you wish to put it in. And if you love your car, that's more than enough reason to sink more money into it. If I stopped to think about how much money I've spent on cars...I'm just not going to. Waste of time because I'd do it again.

It's simply a financial decison. If you have the time, money, and skill, or someone you can pay to do all that, then do what you wish. If you don't, then either lower your expectations or park the project until you do have some money, time, and/or skills to do it justice. It's your car, so enjoy it as YOU want to.

I think the technological crowd doesn't get their hands dirty anymore. Kids today don't seem to be attracted to the cool cars anymore, partly because there are less and less cool cars to be had that's financially in their wheelhouse. That, and GM's (and others) propensity to get rid of parts off the shelf about when the warranty expires without the aftermarket picking them up is a huge problem. Some more than others. But I just don't see the younger folks gravitating to the cars like most of us here did. If you put it in perspective, think about the "old" cars that are 15-20 years old right now. What would you buy? Me? Probably not much of anything. Who wants a FWD?

If I worried about what other people thought about my cars, I'd probably never have bought an Oldsmobile. Especially a G-body with emissions choke-out systems all over it. My cars speak to me. If it doesn't scream "drive me," I'm not likely to have much interest in it. Lord knows, with a stock G-body, you don't drive it to be fast and powerful. Even a stock GN is kinda slow by today's standards.

True, we do have a car that doesn't say drive me...a 2012 Ford Focus. It was willed to me by my late mother-in-law because I helped her go buy the car she wanted. For some reason she was so happy that she didn't get screwed and got a good deal on it that, even against my objections, she left it in her will to me when she passed 5 years ago. If it wasn't for the wife, I'd have probably gotten rid of the car pronto. But her sentimental value has its place. So there you go. Another mouth to feed. Honestly, the 4 cylinder isn't terrible on gas mileage, so to do daily duties it's ok. But you would think because my dad retired from Corvette that I'd have had one at some point, but no. Corvettes are neat, but just don't do much to stir me to want one for myself. Kinda like a Mustang...a car for those who love them, and respect them on the street, but I just can't fall in love with one.

That said, I can't ever stop anywhere in the G-bodies and NOT have someone ask me if I want to sell it or "how much you want for that?" to break the ice. Mostly at gas stations, but still. Rando droolers used to be kinda funny but nowadays, I'm not sure what's safe or not. I can probably be safe to say you will likely never hear offers like that at an EV charging station. :)

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
think people driving horse drawn carriages had this same problem? 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Cars have become a device, much the same as cell phones have. Everyone wants the latest and greatest, and the novelty wears off when the next new model comes out. Plus with the styling of many newer cars, its hard to tell one brand or model from another. Its a coupe or sedan, or SUV, or CUV, or truck.
I can only speak for myself here, but I like driving my old cars. I really don't do it for other people, I do it for myself. If someone notices it, or compliments it, or gives me a thumbs-up, then that's a bonus.

Nothing speaks to 'cars as a device' more so than the fact that they now require regular software updates.

Even sedans and coupes are becoming few and far between.

I'm not sure about the whole CUV thing and it's popularity. Most of them a really nothing more than a hatchback. Yet, they've become exceedingly popular for a country that supposedly hates hatchbacks.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
Im building my car for my liking, not to impress anyone. Throughout my 41 years on this earth, I've come to realize that not everyone has the same taste in things, and that's ok.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
If you're driving old cars for other people's admiration, you're into it for the wrong reasons.

I drive them because I LOVE them, and they are a reminder of good times gone by, and yet to come

Agreed. I like G-Bodies. I absolutely deposit time and money into these vehicles and I'm not looking for anything in return but the happiness it brings to me when I solve an issue or take a cruise. Of course, it does make me happy when an older woman sees my car and says, "that's a beautiful car," just because she was around when they were new and can appreciate seeing one. The only thing that I need more of is balance. I put too much into these cars and not enough into investing and spending time with my son.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
In 1968 my neighbor across the street bought a brand new Firebird. She was single, employed, at what I can't remember, and she screamed holy heck when we kids played ball in the street around her car. She would move it into the driveway away from us. I'm glad she did, because when I got out of the Army, she wanted rid of it, and I got it. To her it was just a car, for commuting, but to me, it was heaven. I drove it daily for 16 years. To this day I am a first gen nut. I am restoring a '68 Firebird convertible as we speak. Flash forward to now, and if you offered me any 2024 car for free I probably would not choose any. They all look the same, are mostly plastic, and extremely expensive to maintain. But for the average shlub to get to work, they are fine. At least we can relate to a '57 Chevy, a '65 mustang, a '77 Trans Am, an '86 Monte SS. What in the world will people want to restore from the bars of soap on the road today? If you are not happy with just working on and driving an old car, you are in the wrong hobby. As for girls, I think there are three basic kinds. Those that are just tired of walking and want a ride. Those that want to see a Range Rover with hundred dollar bills flying out the windows. And the ones that can tell you what engine is under the hood just by listening. Those are still around, but getting scarcer by the minute.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
When you start worrying about sinking money into your G-body, put down the wrench, and slowly back out of the garage without making eye contact. Then make up a for sale ad and get rid of your car. The party's over. There's nothing more satisfying outside of the bedroom IMO than wrenching on a car. It's the automotive equivalent to a little blue pill. o_O

Cars, especially older ones, were never, and will never, be cheap. It's like the family dog. Sure, you may have got him cheap or even given to you, but food costs and vet bills over the years end up being more than you would have paid for him "new". But you won't get rid of him because he becomes part of the family. Car people already are aware of this going in.

The fun part about having a second car as a fun toy is that it's not your primary vehicle, you can park it and not feed it for a while if you don't want, and they really don't take up any money unless you wish to put it in. And if you love your car, that's more than enough reason to sink more money into it. If I stopped to think about how much money I've spent on cars...I'm just not going to. Waste of time because I'd do it again.

It's simply a financial decison. If you have the time, money, and skill, or someone you can pay to do all that, then do what you wish. If you don't, then either lower your expectations or park the project until you do have some money, time, and/or skills to do it justice. It's your car, so enjoy it as YOU want to.

I think the technological crowd doesn't get their hands dirty anymore. Kids today don't seem to be attracted to the cool cars anymore, partly because there are less and less cool cars to be had that's financially in their wheelhouse. That, and GM's (and others) propensity to get rid of parts off the shelf about when the warranty expires without the aftermarket picking them up is a huge problem. Some more than others. But I just don't see the younger folks gravitating to the cars like most of us here did. If you put it in perspective, think about the "old" cars that are 15-20 years old right now. What would you buy? Me? Probably not much of anything. Who wants a FWD?

If I worried about what other people thought about my cars, I'd probably never have bought an Oldsmobile. Especially a G-body with emissions choke-out systems all over it. My cars speak to me. If it doesn't scream "drive me," I'm not likely to have much interest in it. Lord knows, with a stock G-body, you don't drive it to be fast and powerful. Even a stock GN is kinda slow by today's standards.

True, we do have a car that doesn't say drive me...a 2012 Ford Focus. It was willed to me by my late mother-in-law because I helped her go buy the car she wanted. For some reason she was so happy that she didn't get screwed and got a good deal on it that, even against my objections, she left it in her will to me when she passed 5 years ago. If it wasn't for the wife, I'd have probably gotten rid of the car pronto. But her sentimental value has its place. So there you go. Another mouth to feed. Honestly, the 4 cylinder isn't terrible on gas mileage, so to do daily duties it's ok. But you would think because my dad retired from Corvette that I'd have had one at some point, but no. Corvettes are neat, but just don't do much to stir me to want one for myself. Kinda like a Mustang...a car for those who love them, and respect them on the street, but I just can't fall in love with one.

That said, I can't ever stop anywhere in the G-bodies and NOT have someone ask me if I want to sell it or "how much you want for that?" to break the ice. Mostly at gas stations, but still. Rando droolers used to be kinda funny but nowadays, I'm not sure what's safe or not. I can probably be safe to say you will likely never hear offers like that at an EV charging station. :)
I couldn't have written it better. I have two toys, both I've had since new 87 & 81). My kids in their early 40s don't want them, the wife hates one of them for "just sitting there." Well, when I go to the supermarket gas station there is someone that always compliments on the look as well as well as the sometimes remember having one. There is burden to get them inspected/oil changed/ batteries kept charged/wheels cleaned and under body cleaning/wash & wax, but when feeling down I go to my garage open the hoods and just stare at them. I love my cars. The day that doesn't bring a smile to my face will be the day they get sold!

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I think you NEED to have the car you LOVE. If you buy a car because you think its COOL, cool is a novelty and wears off. If you love the car it makes it easier to hold on to it when you just don't have the drive to tinker on it. I have had a few cars that I didnt love. I thought I could work on them, but it was just that, WORK. Eventually it wears off and you just want somebody to buy it. I have my 70 SS right now, and its probably the last car I will buy. I work on it as the money is there and my time is available. And when I have other things to do, it sits under the cover ready for when I can work on it again.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor