BUILD THREAD “The Juggernaut”

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Supporting Member
Sep 17, 2017
Is this your Granddad's place?

Rktpwrd's granddad.jpg

I guess there's always been "that guy" that does cool sh*t, but who's shop is all squared away and neat. I'm the same, except for the squared away, neat, and cool.

Reactions: 6 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is this your Granddad's place?

View attachment 235105
I guess there's always been "that guy" that does cool sh*t, but who's shop is all squared away and neat. I'm the same, except for the squared away, neat, and cool.

I wish! Unfortunately no one in my family was ever into cars or fabrication, so I kind of broke the mold in that respect I guess. I think I’ve done alright though, considering I’m mostly self taught except for my formal autobody training.

As far as The Skunkworks are concerned, I have to keep it neat and orderly or else I’d lose my ever loving anal retentive mind! Even at that, I still seem to spend far too long looking for that tool I just put down. I had the damn thing a minute ago, now where the hell…???

Reactions: 10 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I wish! Unfortunately no one in my family was ever into cars or fabrication, so I kind of broke the mold in that respect I guess. I think I’ve done alright though, considering I’m mostly self taught except for my formal autobody training.

As far as The Skunkworks are concerned, I have to keep it neat and orderly or else I’d lose my ever loving anal retentive mind! Even at that, I still seem to spend far too long looking for that tool I just put down. I had the damn thing a minute ago, now where the hell…???
I swear sometimes I spend more time looking for the tool I just had than I do working on the car

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, the last 72 hours have been an absolute marathon in the Skunkworks.

In that time, I have:
-completed the filler work on the doors and fenders
-cleaned and blew out the shop
-masked the car and shop
-cleaned the panels
-sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer
-sprayed 2 coats of poly spray filler
-let everything cure overnight
-blocked the poly with 120 grit
-guide coated everything
-blocked the poly with 220 grit
-cleaned and blew out the shop again
-blew off and cleaned the panels again
-sprayed an additional coat of epoxy
And finally,
-mixed and sprayed 3 coats of high build primer

Whew. I need a vacation, I think I’ll go collapse in a corner somewhere now.

I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the tale as to how it turned out, enjoy.

Factory Malibu fender flares on a Cutlass:

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

IMG_4065.jpeg

IMG_4066.jpeg

IMG_4067.jpeg

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4076.jpeg

IMG_4077.jpeg

IMG_4078.jpeg

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4081.jpeg

IMG_4082.jpeg

IMG_4083.jpeg

More pictures with everything unmasked and reassembled back on the ground coming soon, stay tuned for that.

D.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 18 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Unmasked and reassembled it late last night, and snapped a couple quick pictures this morning.

IMG_4085.jpeg

IMG_4086.jpeg

IMG_4088.jpeg

IMG_4089.jpeg

IMG_4090.jpeg

IMG_4091.jpeg

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Just out of curiosity, what's your sandpaper budget for this project? I bet you could buy a small car for what you've invested in consumables.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Looking good. I noticed you still put 2k urethane over your spray poly. I’ve done it that way as well, most times. On the vette I’m doing now I’m going to go spray poly to sealer and paint. I did my boat cowl that way, and I was happy with the result.

Reactions: 1 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looking killer D. That's a whole bunch of hard work! And that's going to equal laser straight body panels.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just out of curiosity, what's your sandpaper budget for this project? I bet you could buy a small car for what you've invested in consumables.

Budget? What’s that?
Lol

You’re not wrong, the consumables are the most expensive part of the whole equation. I joke with my supplier that it’s physically impossible for me to leave for under $100. But that being said, they do take exceptional care of me. Discounts on partial/opened product, free trials of things like grinding discs, splitting up sealed boxes of paint strainers, selling individual 8” grinding discs, etc that no other company would do for you.

So it’s a give and take relationship. Usually I give, and they take.
😅

Looking good. I noticed you still put 2k urethane over your spray poly. I’ve done it that way as well, most times. On the vette I’m doing now I’m going to go spray poly to sealer and paint. I did my boat cowl that way, and I was happy with the result.

Thanks Chris.
Yes, you are correct. I look at spray filler as just that - filler. You wouldn’t ordinarily apply paint directly over filler, so I still utilize 2K high build primer surfacer over top of the poly spray filler. I know the car will still need at least one more round of blocking before paint yet, so the primer affords me that additional material for that as well.

Looking killer D. That's a whole bunch of hard work! And that's going to equal laser straight body panels.

Thank you Tony.
It was definitely a taxing thrash to say the least. But when you’re that close to the finish line, it’s hard not to just keep going. It’s the knowing that you’re thaaat close to being done, just sand this, just finish that, then I can move on to the next thing… I know you know what I mean, you’ve been there too.

As for equaling laser straight panels, here’s hoping. If I’ve done the work correctly, that should be the case.

In other news…
After unmasking and reassembling the car last night, I got to really looking at it, and realized there’s not really all that much bodywork left to do. The mirrors are next on my hit list, then probably the front bumper filler panel, and the front bumper itself.

I want to rework the “A” pillars and where the windshield trim meets the roof, but the roof itself needs nothing. Just a strip to bare metal, epoxy and primer.

The “C” pillars will need a little bit of loving, the torque of the big block wrinkled them a little bit so some additional reinforcement work will need to be done there.

The quarter panels will be their own entity that we will gloss over right now due to utmost secrecy, and will be the most intensive part yet to come.

I plan on welding in the back window/trunk lid filler panel to streamline and simplify back there a bit, and I will be making my own metal quarter extensions, so that should be an interesting but fun exercise.

I may or may not keep the existing trunk spoiler, but at the moment am leaning more towards scratch building a totally new and different style. The trunk lid itself needs very little to be perfect.

That leaves just the rear bumper, it still needs to be sectioned and tucked, but that’s it for the bodywork.
I know it sounds like a lot, but should be completely manageable.

Sounds good in theory at least…
🙄

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor