The tale of the storage unit auction mystery car.

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
The bidding got crazy about an hour before the end of the auction between me and another person and I definitely got carried away a little bit haha but I think I'm good no matter what direction I go (I hope). Turns out one of the bfg's had self destructed from age alone while stored away and unfortunately broken the trunk spoiler leaning up against it. So I ran the DOT date code and that was the beginning of the time capsule type discoveries, the 3 digit code came back as 11-15-1999! So this old gal (or at least her shoes) has been off the road for a very long time I'd imagine. 255 out back and 235 in the front. The steering column was indeed intact, in good shape and still sporting the correct wheel too. Another 90's throwback was the Fairbanks graphics on the aforementioned 700/r4, I had to dig deep to locate the history and call several companies but ended up finding that while the original company was started in the 60's has been sold twice and is now owned by Superior trans parts in Florida, who told me they haven't used these graphics (tiger stripe in particular) since around the late 90's apparently. Fairbanks stuff is regarded as top quality by most who've used them from what I've seen, Fingers crossed. The Hurst locking "security" shifter is another item I'd never seen before from back in the 90's, uses a key to lock the release button so it can't shift out of park. Not valuable but still pretty neat. The ceramic coated (but surface rusted) hooker competition headers don't have any soot in the primary tubes or collectors, I found that odd due to the fact that they were obviously mounted on the engine, that seems very new but at least broken in/used minimaly. Also I had to see inside the rear end for obvious reasons asap, so when I found all the goods still intact and in amazing condition I was relieved. This guy absolutely loved his SS back in the day and its obvious he took good care of it. I'll have more time later to put more up.

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_153232554~2.jpg
    IMG_20240501_153232554~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240430_134216236_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240430_134216236_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240501_160335485_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_160335485_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240501_160249289_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_160249289_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240430_132204987_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240430_132204987_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240430_125552888_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240430_125552888_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240501_151317509~2.jpg
    IMG_20240501_151317509~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240501_153247356_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_153247356_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240430_134254863_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240430_134254863_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It does make you wonder what became of the whole car. The parts look pretty clean. The headers don't look like they've ever been run.
The Hurst shifter is a cool piece. I can't say I've ever seen one before. All in all, I think you did well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
It does make you wonder what became of the whole car. The parts are look pretty clean. The headers don't look like they've ever been run.
The Hurst shifter is a cool piece. I can't say I've ever seen one before. All in all, I think you did well.
Tip of the iceberg my friend. This guy was having fun back in his day. Given the length of time, unfortunately he could be passed on by now. Storage was on auto pay or wife was paying until...... Not sure, but that's kinda why I'm telling this tale, as I've gone through this pile of parts, I feel it only fair to the man. He seems to have been one of us for sure.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Tip of the iceberg my friend. This guy was having fun back in his day. Given the length of time, unfortunately he could be passed on by now. Storage was on auto pay or wife was paying until...... Not sure, but that's kinda why I'm telling this tale, as I've gone through this pile of parts, I feel it only fair to the man. He seems to have been one of us for sure.
As you suggested, the husband may have passed on. It's sad to think that this guy wanted to do the right thing but fell ill and the parts were scattered about. The body could've ended up in a body shop somewhere. What a terrible fate.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
As you suggested, the husband may have passed on. It's sad to think that this guy wanted to do the right thing but fell ill and the parts were scattered about. The body could've ended up in a body shop somewhere. What a terrible fate.
I've asked around a few local shops, don't want to be "that guy" hounding about some dead man's (hopefully not) SS. The storage company obviously won't tell me anything if I did ask, and I understand that. If nothing else this will serve as a cautionary tale for all of us with huge parts hoards of unobtainium goodies and sweet rides, let family and friends know what to do in the event something tragic happens. We all have a family member or trusted "car buddy" we would allow to assist our families in either finishing or letting go of our treasures I hope. I'm not even 100% sure on that tire date honestly because the code code comes back as possibly being from 10 years prior due to the dating system used before 2000. They could be from 1989 and I wouldn't know how to tell.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240502-151609~2.png
    Screenshot_20240502-151609~2.png
    265.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I only wanted to add that I can tell you're a 'car guy' based on the acquired parts transport vehicle (67-72 fleet side taillight).

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've asked around a few local shops, don't want to be "that guy" hounding about some dead man's (hopefully not) SS. The storage company obviously won't tell me anything if I did ask, and I understand that. If nothing else this will serve as a cautionary tale for all of us with huge parts hoards of unobtainium goodies and sweet rides, let family and friends know what to do in the event something tragic happens. We all have a family member or trusted "car buddy" we would allow to assist our families in either finishing or letting go of our treasures I hope. I'm not even 100% sure on that tire date honestly because the code code comes back as possibly being from 10 years prior due to the dating system used before 2000. They could be from 1989 and I wouldn't know how to tell.
Yeah, I didn't think the storage unit people would divulge any information leading to the past tenant. If you had leads to finding the body and all the components, it wouldn't make you a vulture.
I couldn't agree with you more allowing family members to know what your intentions are with your cars, tools, etc. You always hope they'd end up in good hands and family members would do the right thing. As the old adage goes, we can't take it with us.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
I only wanted to add that I can tell you're a 'car guy' based on the acquired parts transport vehicle (67-72 fleet side taillight).
Thanks man. 1972 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton 350/350 12 bolt truck. Bone stock and loyal as an old dog. My father and I were very much into building them when I was a young man WAY before they were as cool as they are now (late 80's early 90's) and after a long long break from each other we reunited for a couple great years building junk for ourselves and making up lost time. He bought this truck during that time for us to dig into like old times and unfortunately died 3 months later. Unlike this fella and his family with the Monte SS I knew exactly what to do with the gmc thankfully. Plus my dad's Brothers parts catalog with half a notebook full of notes and drawings is still untouched under the seat, and he had already bought all the parts to sawp the chevy grill, bumper etc on it. Haven't done that swap yet. Just an old rusty priceless truck! Nothing to see here. You guys get it. Haha

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Gearheadwilly

Apprentice
Apr 27, 2024
Yeah, I didn't think the storage unit people would divulge any information leading to the past tenant. If you had leads to finding the body and all the components, it wouldn't make you a vulture.
I couldn't agree with you more allowing family members to know what your intentions are with your cars, tools, etc. You always hope they'd end up in good hands and family members would do the right thing. As the old adage goes, we can't take it with us.
Good luck with whatever decision you make.
I'm looking to you guys for opinions and advice as we go along on this. Will I end up having enough to make it worthy of finding a nice shell and building or let the parts live on in other builds? We're not done here and I'm definitely not done digging for the rest of the car. I might have the initials of the guy. And if I can locate the VIN on the chassis that will help possibly. I haven't had a chance to get the chassis on stands and really comb over it for more numbers then the pic of the rear crossmember I posted earlier with the date I asked about. From the info I've found on here it seems like that's a valid date of manufacture.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I see that frame will need the typical #2 passenger body mount repair. Hopefully that is all the repair it needs.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor