Things I should know when looking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JYUMMY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2014
Hello all. I am interested in purchasing my first El Camino. I am set on the 5th gen models. So, my question(s) is: What are things I should really pay attention to when considering buying a used car such as this. Mileage, original engine/transmission? What do you think about re-built engines/mods. Also curious what kind of price range should I really be looking to top out at? Most I've been seeing on CL in the area of SD-L.A. are fairly cheap. A nice(looking) el camino seems to be around 4-7k. Where a complete project car can be starting around 2k. Any advice or knowledge you have would be cool. Thanks!

Neuron

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2012
SOCAL
I just picked up one a while back after looking forever. I had a max budget of 5K. I wanted NO RUST, NO REWORKED WIRING and in generally good shape for 5k. I was hoping for a newer engine or transmission or both plus the gauge package. I was getting pretty disappointed, it seems all I could find were basket cases, rust buckets,jury rigged water/oil leakers or new everything for over my budget. Eventually found my Elky and I feel lucky for the shape its in. As always it had to pass smog or no deal. I am in southwest riverside if you need any advice. I was able to sell the stock wheels and tires and pick up the wheels I wanted on it with only adding a few bucks.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Everything mechanical is easily fixed. Find a body and frame that are not rotten. Look to the Southwest or California. Here's a local one I posted on Sunday:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/4815114608.html

I called him and it is supposed to have GN brakes and vac booster, aero kit, glass cowl hood, IROC Camaro dash, 3.73 posi rear axle. Probably New Mexico rust free, but I have not seen it in person.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
A huge thing many people overlook is stolen / liens. If it's too good to be true or you see red flags walk away. Everyone wants the cheaper price but if the guy meets you in a public location but won't agree to meet at his house and he's got a trac-fone and all the classic signs of bs are there then walk away. Because you're in Cali you have to look at smog. You will have to buy a car w/ stock engine unless the owner can show you the paperwork proving passed smog w/ his small block. If you see a big block / sbc that smokes a little but it's fast and the price is too good be true - don't buy it he failed smog. 300hp+ is great but it's pretty useless in a police state unless you can pass that smog and get those plates. You will see lots of g-bodies out there for like $1,500 - $2,000 that are virtually un-plateable and the person just painted themself into a corner smog-wise. Like SSN said, if you want the least likely to rust out look for a car that had a history in NM, AZ, south TX and it should have 0 rust if it's true.

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
When I bought a car in CA, I made the owner go with me to a smog station and witness it passing smog. If it didn't pass, I didn't buy. You can expand your search to Las Vegas, and if you see something interesting, I can check it out for you. Probably less rust in a high desert car than even in So Cal. I agree with other posters, rust is critical, and stock for CA is almost a must. I think the 4-7K price range should be doable for a pretty nice ride.

JYUMMY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2014
Nice, thanks for the advice guys. So why is original preferred you think when talking about CA? Is it just for the smog situation?

darbysan

Master Mechanic
Apr 3, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Yes, for the smog. It can get real expensive trying to buy all the required devices if someone has removed them ( assuming they will even work if a modified engine has been installed). Some are not even available except used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor