to tint or not to tint??

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
im thinking about getting my windows tinted on my wagon , how much should i expect to pay for a quality job???
is it worth it ?? my a.c. works so i think the tint will help keep it kool ??? any ideas thanks 8)

Carlola

Master Mechanic
Feb 5, 2011
not sure on price, it is cheap enough that a quality job won't be much more than a crappy one. I saw a monte carlo tint job where the glass got gradually lighter towards the bottom of the window, gives a sleek look to a G-body and didn't look plastic/tacky like some overly dark tints. Definitely my choice when the time comes.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
get reflective tint front and back at least but maybe skip the side windows. Expect $40-80 a window and get multiple quotes. You can do it yourself on a hot day w/ a blow dryer (proper tool is a heat gun on low actually) the right kind of adhesive and a window tint strip from advanced or auto zone but I'd probably only do the back if I was you since you obviously dont know how to do it very well. Just read the instructions and some of them you have to seperate a clear layer at the corner of the tint strip and peel it off before you adhere it so make sure to read if you have to do that and then there should be a little crappy plastic squeegee in the box w/ the tint strip you have to smooth out all the bubbles and that part is critical so watch somebody do it on youtube maybe 1st if you're going to try doing it yourself. Also maybe get your own little plastic squeegee cause the one w/ the kits suck its really small and make blister on your finger (takes like 1-2 hour to smooth all the bubbles out if you **** up)

Dont try to install tint on a cold day it will reject the tint and bubble up

Bowiemontecarlo86

G-Body Guru
Dec 17, 2011
Tampa fl.
Wagons always cost 30to40% more then regular cars same with SUVs. I got a quote for my car for 80 bucks to 120. Just Gotta shop around and try getting references.might wanna ask friends where they went and then check out the job they did on they car.also check and see if your county our state has tint laws. Like here in Florida I can't get darker then 15%

shortydoowop138

Greasemonkey
Feb 15, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
At the stereo shop where I work, we charge $40 a window unless we're removing old tint. We use 3M, SunTech & Sun Guard tint. You can do it yourself, just need a wall paper scrapper (razor blase) to clean the windows, spray bottle with baby shampoo solution, a blow dryer & some good lights so you can trace the film. It's not hard, just time consuming.. & PLEASE don't use ammonia to clean your tint!!!

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
I paid 200 for my wagon...I'm very pleased with it...mine was more expensive than all the prices that everyone is throwing out because, 1. its a wagon. 2. my tint in not legal for virginia

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah, to do a wagon it's somewhere around the area of $200-250. Make sure they use a quality product, not that Gila sh*t or the stuff you buy at Walmart or Advance Auto.
Use a good squeegee and a wider plastic body filler spreader.

I've done it myself, it's not too difficult. It's takes care and patience, and the windows must be extremely clean. I may have it professionally done this time around.

...and as Shorty said, don't use ammonia on your tint. It will turn it purple.

woody31

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2012
thanks yall gona do the elcamino first ill take pictures tomm 8)

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012
Dark boyz is the only way I roll. 8) My tints gotta be the darkest cause I like to black out my trim on my cars. It gives it the solid black look that I like which contrasts whatever color I paint my ride. It definitely helps with the heat and better with a/c. Didnt cost me much as I had my door and quarter windows out when they painted my car and my brother did the tint for me. Whole lot easier applying the tint with the windows on the bench. My car is a daily so I wasnt too picky about a couple of tiny bubbles here and there. I will tell you I have been stopped twice in Tampa for my tint. But something tells me thats just the cops excuse to stop someone with all the tax fraud goin on around here. They justwanna see if they can get you for something bigger. Neither time did i geta ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor