Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
megaladon6 said:
454muscle said:
CamaroAdam73 said:
I agree with everyone who basicly said, tell them to get bent.

They'd ****ing haaate me, i went el-cheapo loco on my exhaust, full length hooker headers running to 3 " straight pipes connected to glass packs, that come out in front of the rear wheels, Its disgustingly loud.

"Tell them to get bent" is not a solution. Life is about respect. If you don't know that yet, you will learn it the hard way.
IDK that i agree with you in this case. he does have a full, proper, exhaust. so his neighbors should give him some respect and leave him alone about the car.

That's true, they could just be the kind of people that just wait for anything so they can b*tch. Could be half and half, car might be kinda loud and the people could just be bitchers.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
pontiacgp said:
mega...I don't know the laws where he lives but here the exhaust has to exit behind the rear wheels. The exit is too close to the opening of the door and up here they yank the car off the street. Also glass packs are not legal everywhere and he has removed the cat so that may make it illegal as well. There is no need for excessive noise as it doesn't create any more power but it is an attention getter....which is something I don't need.
...pretty much the same thing I was thinking. Although in his original post it does say the exhaust exits under the rear bumber, so that is legal. But as far as a full/legal exhaust, negative. Any vehicle from like '75 and earlier was originally equipped with a catalytic converter and therefore it is considered an illegal exhaust system if you do not have one on your car.
You could leave it the way it is and eventually either get evicted for disturbance or get the police called on you. If the police are called, you better hope that it is someone who is into loud cars because he will more than likely bend down and see that you have no cats and give you a ticket. And a fix-it ticket is something that has to be taken care of and inspected by an officer to be dismissed.

IMO, buy some of those rear tailpipe inserts that summit sells and see it they muffle the sound a bit. Otherwise, put a couple high flow catalytic converters on it and be done with it.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
pontiacgp said:
mega...I don't know the laws where he lives but here the exhaust has to exit behind the rear wheels. The exit is too close to the opening of the door and up here they yank the car off the street. Also glass packs are not legal everywhere and he has removed the cat so that may make it illegal as well. There is no need for excessive noise as it doesn't create any more power but it is an attention getter....which is something I don't need.
do you think that once in awhile you could actually read the thread before trying to start sh*t? he has a full complete exhaust as described in the FIRST post, exiting at the rear. and he never said anything about glass packs, that's the other guy who just wants SOUND.
and seeing as we don't know his location, why don't you try asking before you judge him?
Any vehicle from like '75 and earlier was originally equipped with a catalytic converter and therefore it is considered an illegal exhaust system if you do not have one on your car.
assuming you meant later than 75, not earlier, (and i think it's the 80's where they were mandated) it still depends on state and location. and in many states a cop can't give tickets for emission, only safety. NY and CT are 2.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
megaladon6 said:
do you think that once in awhile you could actually read the thread before trying to start sh*t? he has a full complete exhaust as described in the FIRST post, exiting at the rear. and he never said anything about glass packs, that's the other guy who just wants SOUND.and seeing as we don't know his location, why don't you try asking before you judge him?

do you think for once in a while you could ask a question before trying to start sh*t...look at your post you idiot and you'll see that you quoted the post about the glass pack so sorry if I can't read your half-a-mind to figure out your not talking about what you quoted

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
pontiacgp said:
beermonkey9417 said:
i have the same problem with my elky. i cant legaly start my car before 8am because of the noise laws for doing yard work or construction. its funny because everytime i drove it around my 'hood, i set off car alarms while idling by. its fun to see all the old people making faces at me because of how loud it is. i miss my loud *ss car.... :cry:

I fail to see the humor of knowingly bothering old people with the noise of your car when you should have respect for those old people. If it wasn't for some of those old people you might not be here...

i do have respect for older people i know. alot of the people in my 'hood are just angry old farts that need something to complain about. i think its funny when they get angry because they all drive brand new buicks and caddy and crown vics. they just forgot what fun is. for most of them, they grew up in the time where hot rodding was the cool thing to do. i dont go around reving my engine to annoy people and make them angry at me, i just want my car to be as bad *ss as i can afford. if they dont like it, they can eat a bag of "peepee's". its my car, i dont start it before the time im told and dont drive it later than im allowed. but if some ones gonna complain about how loud my car is at 3pm there just wanting to start trouble. i dont race it, i dont do burn outs(too slow and not enough torque). its just a cool car to me.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
and all the older people who complain about it have no relation to anyone im related to. so they can "bite my shiny metal *ss". to quote the great Bender.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Well, I can see your neighbor's point of view in this case. Trailers do not have great sound deadening abilities, and waking them up disturbs their right to live their lives in that neighborhood. Trailer parks are very close quarters, and you have to remember that you are not the only one living there. As for me, I like my cars quiet and tend to chose sane exhaust systems. Do you really need 3 in duals with Flowmasters? I have 2.5 in duals and Flowmasters on my AMC and the thing wakes the dead! I can't imagine it with 3" tubing! It is also one of the things I would change about that car if I planned to keep it as I really don't like attracting attention to myself or listening to nothing but exhaust drone as I drive. (It's also one of the reasons the car hasn't been run in 3-4 years...) I may sound hypocritical, but I also did not run the car at night unless absolutely necessary in deference to my neighbors, many of whom work in the morning and need their sleep. It wasn't my daily driver, so usually it was not a problem. In your case, you gotta be careful too because you could get kicked out of the park. You may own the trailer, but not the lot.

So, I would say you need to quiet the car down and go to a smaller exhaust system with quieter mufflers, like the Walker Dynomax. I have them on my Cutlass and love them. At speed, I don't even hear them as I drive. At idle, they are noticaeble, but not from inside the house. I have considered adding a second set of mufflers to the car to make it even quieter ( or a dual in, dual out behind the axle).

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Am I the only one who likes to sleep with the windows open? I made my own kid quiet down his own car because it would wake me when he came home, and I know he was trying to be quiet! Being neighbors and hearing it night after night is different from hearing a car drive by once. None of my neighbors said a word but if it bugged me it had to bug them. When I do my cuttys exhaust I'll be looking for something quiet and unassuming so I really like these posts. I prefer the stealthy approach... as do the cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor