MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
Same thing happened to me 2-19-1985 at 5:37AM, I was driving a 1977 Toyota Hilux truck. He hit me headlight to headlight both drivers side. They got away with minor injuries. I had 19 broken bones including my femur pushed though my pelvis. Both legs both arms ect. You never know when it may be coming. They were four young marines that had been out partying and were trying to make it back to base and fell asleep. People drive like they either don't give a sh*t or are invincible. You are not, I can attest to that.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I was speaking more on the later olds / cadillac designs which were much sturdier. Also, its not very fair to ram such an old car into a newer car. What an unfair test. Obviously an old car is going to have weathered more so that test is kind of stupid..

malibuguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2014
Maryland
Ah man that is minutes from where i work. I remember hearing about an accident on the radio on Quarterfield rd...**** me

I hate mustang people even more now

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
You could make up scenario in which any particular car could come out as safer than another.
What we have here is a very unusual situation. First, there are simply very few older cars around to be involved in accidents in the first place. , Then we have the accident caused by a third party. Then the dynamics of the accident resulted in a fatality.
None of this is of any comfort to anyone involved, but mostly we DON'T have wrecks, careful drivers even less than most.
Over here classic car drivers get very good deals for insurance because mostly we drive our cars in a very defensive, risk averse manner. Certainly driving a '59 Cadillac with no seat belts, indifferent brakes, cumbersome handling etc. makes me pay careful attention to the road and other road users.The fact that I can't go to a showroom and buy another doesn't hurt my efforts at staying out of harms way either. But the unexpected might happen, and no doubt, I would much rather be in my wife's sardine can Peugeot if I'm going to have a collision. It's no comfort to think the car can be easily fixed if I'm going to be put in a body bag. Modern cars take the hit for you, You can buy another car, you and your family are irreplaceable.

Roger.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I almost hate to ask this, but it wasn't anyone we know, was it? In any case I'm sad to hear this, especially during the holidays.

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
You do know that you tube video there is more than meets the eye. The engine and transmission was removed from the 59 before they did the crash. If you look into it you will find the info online. Second this is exactly what the goverment wants you to think. This way people will go out and buy new cars and sales will go up for auto makers. Do i think new cars are safer? New cars are made to fold, i do lots of collision and salvage and its a different ball game. I still would drive my suburban over a tin can anyday.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'll have to ask that this definitely positively absolutely not turn into some political thing or I'm bringing out the mod scissors. I mean, cmon, that could have been any one of us, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor