Trans and engine not bolting together

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Just dropped in a TH350 trans and Chevy 305 engine and i can get the trans to block bolts in on one side but then there's 1/2" gap on the other. I took all the bolts back out and it seems like the torque convertor isn't all the way in the trans as its still pressed up against the flywheel even with all the mounting bolts out and 1/2" of space between trans and engine(engine and trans supported by separate jacks). I can see the "shaft" on the torque convertor where it goes into the trans...is it possible it's not all the way in?

bubba1228

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2009
Pueblo, CO
yes its possible when you put on the converter did you spin it while pushing it in? If so it should drop in twice i believe, once its all the way in and bellhousing and block are bolted together you should be able to slide the converter to your flexplate and bolt it up

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
check to make sure the converter is seated properly like bubba says. i always make sure the converter bolts and through the spaces on the flywheel and put the nut on them by hand just to make sure they dont slip out. also did u have the engine already or did u get it from somewhere. check make sure there aint a pilot bearing in the crank it could have came from a manual trans car.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
bjohn07 said:
check to make sure the converter is seated properly like bubba says. i always make sure the converter bolts and through the spaces on the flywheel and put the nut on them by hand just to make sure they dont slip out. also did u have the engine already or did u get it from somewhere. check make sure there aint a pilot bearing in the crank it could have came from a manual trans car.

I got the engine/trans combo out of a buddy's car that was running and driving.

Dam dam dam, i think i rushed a bit and forgot to spin the converter to get it to click :( . Is it possible to do it without pulling the engine again?

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
cashmoneyspeed said:
bjohn07 said:

I got the engine/trans combo out of a buddy's car that was running and driving.

Dam dam dam, i think i rushed a bit and forgot to spin the converter to get it to click :( . Is it possible to do it without pulling the engine again?

Yes, easily. Loosen the mounting bolts and then you can spin the convertor. Been there, done that.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
Alright well all mounting bolts are completely out, trans mount is bolted to trans but not tightened down and still can't spin it. Hopefully i have better luck tomorrow.

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
cashmoneyspeed said:
Alright well all mounting bolts are completely out, trans mount is bolted to trans but not tightened down and still can't spin it. Hopefully i have better luck tomorrow.

Try removing the trans mount. The trans needs to pull far enough away from the engine to give it enough room. There should be no need to remove either the trans or the engine. Good Luck!

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
86Olds442 said:
cashmoneyspeed said:

Try removing the trans mount. The trans needs to pull far enough away from the engine to give it enough room. There should be no need to remove either the trans or the engine. Good Luck!

Alright i'll give it a try. guess i'll pull the driveshaft back off along with trans mount and slide it back some more. I've got the converter spinning by hand but i can't get it to push in and "click" at all. Is there a particular way that it goes in thats marked at all? (last time i did this was in auto school like 10+ years ago so i'm drawing a blank).

86Olds442

Greasemonkey
Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2009
Old Bridge, NJ
cashmoneyspeed said:
86Olds442 said:
cashmoneyspeed said:

Alright i'll give it a try. guess i'll pull the driveshaft back off along with trans mount and slide it back some more. I've got the converter spinning by hand but i can't get it to push in and "click" at all. Is there a particular way that it goes in thats marked at all? (last time i did this was in auto school like 10+ years ago so i'm drawing a blank).

I just turn it until it pops in place. There is no particular method known to me, nor have I needed one. as you turn it and are pushing it into the trans, all of a sudden it should just sink inwards when its in its proper place.

cashmoneyspeed

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2009
Chicago
That part where it just sinks in seems to be the problem. Maybe because i'm not able to put enough pressure on it with one hand at the bottom exposed part of the converter. Calling it a night....

Here's where i'm at though....so close to driving the car again :D

regal007-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor