trans question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
This is what im wondering, i have a 86 olds cutlass with a 3.8 with th200. The trans has lost reverse, i have a 200 4r and a 8.5 with a 3.73 non posi out of a 86 or 85 442. Im curious if i can swap the trans and put it behind the 3.8 for now until i get some more cash to rebuild my 350 rocket. Would the lock up convertor work with the v6 computer or would i have to hook it up with a lock up switch? Btw when i swap the trans im also putting in the rear also so i would proper rpm with an od trans. This would be a temp set-up until i get my v8 in.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
If I remember right the computer should lock up the converter without a switch. Did this swap years ago in a buddy's car and can't remember for sure, but I believe it worked right. Also don't forget about a driveshaft that is an inch shorter to fit in there too, because of the 8.5" rear end.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
Oh yea i got everything from the engine back from the 442 trans, crossmember and drive shaft. I was hoping it would work so when winter finally leaves at least i can drive it. Even though it wont be as fun with 350 in it :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor