Trans Tunnel Repair - Floor shifter mounting points

hami4141

n00b
Oct 26, 2023
Hello,

My first time posting but I have read a lot of stuff on here over the years. My son who is 15 asked to do a car project together for his first car and we settled on an 87 Monte, which is overall in pretty outstanding condition. Since the car was a roller when we bought it, we are looking to drop a 350 with TH400 I already have lying around in my barn. Before we get to that I need to figure out the mounting of the shifter as I believe this car was originally a column shifter (optional console shifter) with bucket seats, but did come with a console when I purchased it (though it wasn't attached). I dont believe the car was originally a console shifter. What I need is a photo of the trans tunnel of a car that has the mount points for the shifter. I have an image of the tunnel as it is now and looks like at least one hole was cut into it and need to be patched. Assuming someone had a manual trans in it at one point? I think with the bucket seats, the console shifter is a more attractive option.

Thank you for your help!

TT1.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a diagram for the console mounting points, but I'll see if I can find the diagram for the shifter bracket mounting.

I found this older thread that might help you establish measurements for the floor shifter bracket and cable hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I waited until I put my seats in and had them where I wanted them before putting in my shifter so I could sit in the driver’s seat and put my hand exactly where I want the shifter.

1698510290354.jpeg

1698510461031.jpeg

1698510518160.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Hello,

My first time posting but I have read a lot of stuff on here over the years. My son who is 15 asked to do a car project together for his first car and we settled on an 87 Monte, which is overall in pretty outstanding condition. Since the car was a roller when we bought it, we are looking to drop a 350 with TH400 I already have lying around in my barn. Before we get to that I need to figure out the mounting of the shifter as I believe this car was originally a column shifter (optional console shifter) with bucket seats, but did come with a console when I purchased it (though it wasn't attached). I dont believe the car was originally a console shifter. What I need is a photo of the trans tunnel of a car that has the mount points for the shifter. I have an image of the tunnel as it is now and looks like at least one hole was cut into it and need to be patched. Assuming someone had a manual trans in it at one point? I think with the bucket seats, the console shifter is a more attractive option.

Thank you for your help!

View attachment 230302
Here's a 1986 Cutlass Salon.

Attachments

• IMG_0006 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0006 - Copy.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0007 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0007 - Copy.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor