Transmission making Hissing Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have a Th200 4r transmission and it seems to be making a noise like a giant vacuum leak. It can be heard when in park or when in drive, and the volume varies with throttle application. I thought it was just a vacuum leak, but I could not find the noise under the hood, nor could I hear it under the hood when checking. It appears to be coming from under the car. As this transmission does not use a vacuum modulator, I have ruled it out as a possible culprit. Any suggestions are welcome, but I would prefer to not have to have it gone through as I have no money whatsoever to pay for it right now.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Get a short piece of garden hose, hold it by your ear, and snoop around. You'll find it.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
you could have a angry snake stuck somewhere...but if possible cap off all your vacuum lines and see if the noise goes away, i've heard brake booster make a hissing noise too.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
pontiacgp said:
are you sure it isn't coming from your exhaust?

I have wondered that too. I have a wasted and rattling catalytic converter and I have to wonder if the melted ball of what was the catalyst is plugging the outlet and causing backpressure to do it? It's almost like a whistling sound, maybe it is forcing air out a small leak between pipes in the front of the car? I dunno... I wish I had money to replace it so I didn't have to hear it, but I am in a VERY bad spot financially right now because I am forced to use the Cutlass to deliver pizza right now, and my whole financial world fell apart in the last 5 days.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Went underneath it today and had someone rev it, and it seems to be the catalytic converter. It has too much backpressure due to being melted, and is pushing the gases out the front of it. So, tomorrow morning I will try to deal with it the best I can before I go to work for a 12 hour shift.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Just make a quick test-pipe to bypass the converter for now.
Since you don't have a welder (neither do I), here's how to improvise...

Use a pipe cutter or hack saw to remove the converter.
Get a chunk of scrap pipe that's the same length and diameter as the converter.
Go buy 2 cans of Spaghetti O's, four hose clamps, and a tube of muffler cement.

I say Spaghetti O's, because not many other canned food makers still use the old style cans that you can cut both ends off of.
Most now use the new stackable kind that don't allow it.

Eat and enjoy the Spaghetti O's, then wash out the cans and remove the labels.
Cut both ends off the cans, and use a tin-snips to make a cut down the can.
Fit your test pipe in place, and put a heavy bead of muffler cement around the ends of both the test pipe, and the remaining stock exhaust pipes.
Wrap the can around where they meet, and secure it with the hose clamps.
Run the car for a little bit, the heat will help cure the cement.

I have done this before, and I sh*t you not, it works... It's nothing to be proud of, but it'll get you by.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks for the suggestion, but I kinda know what I plan on trying first. One end is flanged and held together with stainless steel nuts and bolts, so that side comes off easy. The other side is a slip fit and the cat is the outer pipe, and just barely will not come off. My plan is to slit the bottom of the outer pipe to give it enough extra space to come off. I will then pound the stuff out of it and put it back on, clamping it with a normal pipe clamp. The hole left before the clamp should be small and not leak enough to cause a lot of trouble. I am hoping that the car will not be needed for more than one more week as I think I can pay to fix the truck's transmission via some creative accounting. I really need to get it back because the rear suspension issues the Cutlass has make it impossible to drive it over 50 mph, and make it very unstable at speeds below that. Once the truck is stabilized, the Cutlass will be repaired to the point that it can see main service again without the problems that make it so hard to use right now (rear suspension, new gas tank, maybe a transmission, etc.). I figure I should be able to get a new car by late fall, but I need to stabilize both the cars I have now so that I can work until then.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Spaghetti-O cans! LOL. I can't really laugh, though. I onced fixed a broken seat adjuster using a piece of a Cambell's soup can.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Wow, Blake, I thought only I used shade-tree fixes like that. Good show!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor