Transmission Temperatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
Hello everybody!

I need your input on the average temperatures of your automatic transmissions?

I run a TH400 equipped with a deep pan (cooling fins), stock lines going to the engine radiator, and a temperature sensor in the out-line of the transmission. The reading it gives is around 175°F - 210°F during the usual stop & go traffic madness. On the highway its around 160°F. The difference to the engine-temperature is minimal

Should I hook up an additional cooler or is the temperature still within acceptable range? I don't want to run the transmission to cool though (apparently this can happen on a TH400), but the ATF-viscosity is best at low temperatures, giving better shifts. I use Comma AQ3 and was told it would handle heat a lot better.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
Trans temps should be close or at least comparable to your engine temps. If your running over 220-230 I would start to worry a little but it also depends on how you drive. A deeper pan with cooling fins running 160-210 is pretty normal. I never had a sensor in the line before I usually put it in the pan but either way it should be pretty close to the same

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
In my diesel performance days not long ago i ran a ford powerstroke with auto transmission pushing 500HP at the wheels.we did not run the radiator cooler(it actually voided the warranty on the performance trannies we were running),we ran the largest cooler we could get.normal transmission temps were considered to be 100° over outside air temps.if it was 80° outside 180° transmission temp was normal.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
My old duramax would run about 175* or so running down the interstate... hauling the gooseneck trailer it would get up to 220-230 on the back roads. I'd say that's nothing to worry about as long as the temps don't get excessive

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
Hmm, today it jumped for the first time to 240°F idling at the traffic lights. I guess now that the outside air temperatures are rising above 68°F the cooling effect of the stock radiator lessens. I think I will update to an external cooler, just to be on the safe side...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor