U joint install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17074

Hi guys I read this thread on the same problem that I'm having now, only thing is I already bought stock replacement precision u joints from summit, and since the new ones are the exact same dimension there is no where to put a clip, where I'm at right now is I torched the plastic filling that holds the caps, now I'm stuck anyone got any ideas? And why do you think summit would sell these as stock replacements when there is no where to put the clips supplied with the new joints? If anything they should sell it with the plastic injection! :evil:

these are the u joints I have.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PCN-232/Application/?prefilter=1
any help would be greatly appreciated, trying to get this rolling by my b day oct 29, so I can do a "happy burn out" with my new gn rear end!

thanks,
wade

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, those you have need a groove in the outside of the flange to retain the U-joint.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
a lot of the time, its not worth the frustration and just take the driveshaft to the machine shop and let them do it. sometimes its just worth it to pay a little extra rather than punching out one of your windows

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this is the u-joint and style of clip you need..and when your doing your u-joints mark the yoke so it goes on the way you took it apart. If you turn it it may put the driveshaft out of phase

bawazir

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2010
how would u know if you u joints are bad dose the car jerk on changing gears
?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
redsx2434 said:
a lot of the time, its not worth the frustration and just take the driveshaft to the machine shop and let them do it. sometimes its just worth it to pay a little extra rather than punching out one of your windows

:oops: I've done that while changing a u joint (one of the caps bouced off the ground and hit my side window), it was kinda funny though because I was unaware it had happened until I was done, put away my tools, looked at the jeep and thought there was ice on my window :friday: , when I looked closer, I saw my window was shattered but still standing :lol: .

bawazir: With the car in park, crawl under it, and rotate the driveshat back, and forth, look for play, but that won't tell you if you have a siezed up one though.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you do have a seized up cap then you'll usually hear them squeak as you drive slowly

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
pontiacgp said:
this is the u-joint and style of clip you need..and when your doing your u-joints mark the yoke so it goes on the way you took it apart. If you turn it it may put the driveshaft out of phase

Thanks man I just picked up one's like those from napa part#534g if anyone else is interested.

wade

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor