Upgraded Front brakes suggestions

lolthisisnuts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
I’m looking to do an economical front brake upgrade. I currently have stock discs and calipers on my 83 el Camino. The car is a street strip car that runs in the 11s. Decided I’d like to have a little more stopping power running through the traps. I’m looking to keep my stock calipers, upgrade brake pads and install a better rotor. Looking for suggestions and experiences.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I put Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors with their ceramic pads on my Roadmaster wagon. It made a huge difference. I could stop on a dime and give you some change. And that thing was heavy. The main key is to properly "bed in" the brake pads to the rotor. I'll be doing the same when I'm ready for brakes on my Malibu but do the blazer upgrade with Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads and calipers.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
If you are running 11s, you've more than exceeded the capabilities of the stock rotors and tiny single piston calipers, regardless of what pad you are running. Drilled rotors are purely for aesthetics, slotted rotors have minimal impact on a street car.

You really need to upgrade to larger brakes.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Several vendors sell stock calibers with larger pistons for a small upgrade. Next step would be 2WD Blazer front brakes. Drill holes and slots are stress risers that promote rotor cracking.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor