Vacuum pump and reserve canister

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Oldsmobile

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2010
Freeland, MI 48623
I've built a motor with a large cam and now my brake pedal is like pushing a brick. Have to stomp on it to get any brake. Don't think I'm getting enough vacuum. I have been looking at vacuum pump and reserve canisters. My question is do you have to use both the pump and a reserve canister? or can you use one of the two without the other? or is there another way "cheaper" way around it to create more vacuum to run the brakes?

Thanks

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You can use the vacuum pump or the canister separately or together but I would think that all you should really need is a vacuum canister and since you can install a gauge on it which will tell you if you have any problems holding vacuum. I didn't need a vacuum pump until my roller cams went into 700+ lift and 270+ duration at 0.050. Try the canister first and see if that solves your problem, I would also check/replace your current check valve on your booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor