VHT wheel paint crackling

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
I am in the process of painting some steel wheels with VHT wheel paint (spray can) I prepped them well, followed instructions etc. They came out great except for a small spot that crinkled up on the third coat. I watched it happen. I decided to leave it for 48-60 hours. I hit it with my fingernail and it flaked off, then feathered it out with a scotch brite and shot just that spot again. Right away it did it again. Wondering whats going on???? I have spray painted a TON of stuff and get excellent results 99% of the time
You hit a rotton spot in the old paint .it's caused by solvents lifting . To prevent that your supposed to use a sealer primer under the new top coat ( vht) ..all you need is to sand the bad spot that lifted shoot a spot of thr Said sealer primer"... over the areas in question leave about 30% overlap... allow maybe and hour re coat with the vht. As far as the vht they are good paints that are avialible at auto store and online vht " is loved by hot Rodders and repair shops alike " ok not as good as powder coat but dang I've seen powder coat lift (schale) and flake from expansion or technique ?....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor