Welding on an axle tube?

Froh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 3, 2024
Tomah, WI
Tell me a little about welding on an axle. Many things are welded to axle tubes at the factory. Is this done before the bearing bores are machined? Will the tube warp beyond usability if leaf spring saddles are welded on? How about if it is welded a little at a time?

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
I've done new leaf spring perches on a couple of Ford 8.8 axles. Never had an issue with getting bearings in or axle shaft alignment.

If I recall, I did not just run continuous beads, but moved back and forth from side to side.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
My spring perches were shot so I welded some tall cup perches from Speedway. I used an acetylene torch so if that didn't warp it, nothing will.

Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Welding always causes warpage, but with careful heat control like back stepping you can minimize it.

Reactions: 2 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
My spring perches were shot so I welded some tall cup perches from Speedway. I used an acetylene torch so if that didn't warp it, nothing will.
If it was good enough for any other A/G-body then should I even be concerned??? I always envisioned that the correct height coil perches where the taller ones found on the Monte Carlo SS...but maybe I'm bias towards Monte's!!!
On another forum, there's an excellent build thread for putting a 8.8 into a Monte. This sent me to watch numerous YT videos and while this one is not the perfect example of installing into a G-body...I like how this guy employs C-channels to keep everything straight.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor