what are the options for drive by cable GM gen4 v8?

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
If I were to pick up a junkyard gen4, would I have to run Holley (TerminatorX) or a Mega Squirt ECU to run a drive by cable throttle body? I'm not interested in using an electronic pedal, but I am interested in using a motor with VVT and not DOD, like the 4.8L L20 for my next swap.

I know many have modified the gas pedal that came with the donor truck, but if I absolutely had to go with drive by wire, I think I'd spring for the $150 CTSV pedal.

Who is running DBC and who is running DBW in their gen4 58-reluctor swap?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
If I were to pick up a junkyard gen4, would I have to run Holley (TerminatorX) or a Mega Squirt ECU to run a drive by cable throttle body? I'm not interested in using an electronic pedal, but I am interested in using a motor with VVT and not DOD, like the 4.8L L20 for my next swap.

I know many have modified the gas pedal that came with the donor truck, but if I absolutely had to go with drive by wire, I think I'd spring for the $150 CTSV pedal.

gen 3 but have you considered a carb setup? i haven't seen this too much then again i'm a sbc guy.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I use bicycle brake cable and sheath. I have a factory firewall sheath and splice a piece of the bicycle sheath to it.

Put a ball of silver solder onto the pedal end of the cable. It’s worked for 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Seems like I'm the only one who know's what you are asking. Do those aftermarket ones support being able to run a Cable TB on 58X? I've never looked into it because I run Gen III stuff.

The whole bit of wanting to Carb a VVT Engine made me laugh harder than it should, some people don't understand technology. Scary wires n sht...

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I use bicycle brake cable and sheath. I have a factory firewall sheath and splice a piece of the bicycle sheath to it.

Put a ball of silver solder onto the pedal end of the cable. It’s worked for 4 years.
Stock 99-02 GM V8 GMT800 Truck Cable works perfectly fine, been in my SS for 9 years or so..

6.0L T56 FRONT CENTER.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor