What to do with a Jeep after 40 years???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
First of all, a little insomnia for me tonight. Anyway, the Grand Prix is on hold (needs exhaust, transmission line, and brakes line to get started up). The reason being is that I am helping clean up my grandpap's garage with 50 years of accumulation (think of the show Hoarding, Buried Alive). His health is deteriorating, so this has been a little higher priority. This used to be a business, not just a house garage.

Anyway, one of the 4 vehicles inside is a 67 Jeep Wagoneer (TH400 auto, AMC 327 V8). As you can see, I need to cleanup the area around the Jeep. The last inspection was in 1972 (3 years before I was born). He did some work way back with the floor boards and a small piece of quarter panel needs welded. Anyway, is there anything I should do before we fire up the Jeep? He has a carb rebuild kit for it. Just not sure if it's a Holley or Motorcraft carb.

As for the other 3 cars: 78 Suburban 4x4, 305, 4-Speed, a 54 Chevy Belair 4-dr (spoken for), and a 54 Chevy Delray 2-dr (spoken for).

And here is the Jeep. Yes, it's on a lift and there's lots of junk (I cleaned up some more tonight though)

normal_Front_Part_-_67_Jeep_-_Copy.JPG

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
I would drain the oil and fill with new, new filter as well. I also would get an oil can and squirt a little bit of oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Maybe turn it over by hand as well. It is going to be awesome starting something up that hasnt been ran for that long. Good luck!!

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
That doesn't look like a 67 front end... That looks more like a late 70's early 80's wagoneer grill, in 67 it should have round head lights with chrome bezels with a painted backing, and then a small rectangular grill in the center.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
CHRIS.O said:
I would drain the oil and fill with new, new filter as well. I also would get an oil can and squirt a little bit of oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole. Maybe turn it over by hand as well. It is going to be awesome starting something up that hasnt been ran for that long. Good luck!!
X2!!

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
get rid of the old gas and get some new gas in the system. new oil and filter. check the plugs and at the same time some oil on the cylinder walls wouldn't hurt. a battery charger or a new battery should be in store to get that thing cranking and a nice can of starting fluid hopefully will do the trick

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
kornball426 said:
That doesn't look like a 67 front end... That looks more like a late 70's early 80's wagoneer grill, in 67 it should have round head lights with chrome bezels with a painted backing, and then a small rectangular grill in the center.

Here's a site about the grill for the Wagoneer/J-Series pickups: http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/fsjgrilles.htm
This has the old round Jeep logo (pre-AMC) on the driver side of the gill, which you cannot see in the photo. As I am learning about these, certain year pickups and Wagoneers used different grills for the same model year.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
dougfather said:
kornball426 said:

Here's a site about the grill for the Wagoneer/J-Series pickups: http://jubileejeeps.org/faqs/fsjgrilles.htm
This has the old round Jeep logo (pre-AMC) on the driver side of the gill, which you cannot see in the photo. As I am learning about these, certain year pickups and Wagoneers used different grills for the same model year.
My 67 had the same grill.......IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor