whats are you guys using to cool your sbc 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What's done to it? There are tons of MYTHs that are out there claiming the 400 overheats. I have a fairly stock 400 with a stock cooling system and in the 2 years it's been in there has NEVER had heating problems. The biggest reason they overheat is because idiots dont drill steam holes in the heads when they switch to a head that didnt come on a 400, or they fail to change and upgrade the cooling systems as they build the engine.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
What he said ^^^^^^!

I still prefer the HD clutch and 7 blade fan because it's reliable, cheap and gets the job done.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Well my 406 in my wagon has a proform waterpump, 3core copper rad, 18" electric fan , 180 t stat. Never had any issues and car has been street driven in 98* days. Runs 195

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'll choose a mechanical fan over an electric whenever I have the choice.
G-Body_Vet said:
I still prefer the HD clutch and 7 blade fan because it's reliable, cheap and gets the job done.
^^That's a good combination.^^ I use one on my '66 El Camino with a 400 in it. Pulled it off an early '80s Malibu. In my case I had to trim about 1/2" off the tips to clear my '66 shroud but it works great. Only time it ever gets above 185* is if I'm pulling a hill while I'm towing. I would say that's partly due to being .060" over (most builders say .040" should be max) and partly because the radiator is old and only meant for a 327. Other than that it cools great.

All Motor Boys

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2011
Indianapolis,IN
thanks for the replies. I got a fan shroud for a v8 gbody from the junkyard. I can get the mechanical fan and clutch fairly cheap. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a radiator if I don't have to. I can get a pretty good discounts on stock parts..

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I'd grab a aluminum champion radiator....I'm running one with my setup and it cools with no issues at all. I had a heavy duty clutch fan but recently switched to a electric mark viii fan, either way the aluminum is great. Check them out here : http://www.championradiators.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor