What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
What's the difference between the cutlass Calais and the supreme? I'm lost and would like to better educate myself!

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
Re: What's the difference?

The calais is more sportier bucket seats console ect,ect,ect. could be wrong hopefully someone
els will chime in.
Gbarrie.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012

Gbarrie said:
The calais is more sportier bucket seats console ect,ect,ect. other than that same car hopefully someone
els will chime in.
Gbarrie.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ

I was told more or less the same, and that it came with the F41 suspension? Trying to brush aside the cobwebs in my memory, though...

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
I need to replace my front upper control arms. I'm looking at some on summit but they said there for a cutlass supreme 82 to 87... im pretty sure that they'll work on my Calais but I want to double check before I buy them. Just in case there is something different.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

King_V said:
I was told more or less the same, and that it came with the F41 suspension? Trying to brush aside the cobwebs in my memory, though...

Also remember that the Supreme could be optioned up with a lot of the parts that made the other models "sportier". At least to a point.

My '87 Supreme came with bucket seats, console and F-41 suspension.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York

Yes, as far as I know. Control arms did not vary. I think all g bodies used the same basic suspensions with differences in sway bars, springs, shocks, and bracing.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston

The Calais cars were only offered from 78-84 IIRC. The Salons were their replacements and were offered from 75-77 and then again from 84-88. Salons were mostly 442's without the HP engines and LSD rears. Calais' were pretty much just sportier models with less luxury options, such as pw, pd, seats, etc. Of course, you could order just about any option on various models back then, if you were willing to wait and pay the additional costs.....

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana

The Calais 78-84 and Salon 85-87 came with reclining buckets, center console, rallye gauges, stiffer springs, fast ratio steering box, sport steering wheel, and heavy front sway bar and rear bar sway bar all as base equipment.

You could get most of this equipment added on to your Cutlass Supreme if you ordered it that way, but the Supreme model generally had the non-reclining bucket seats, except for the 88 Cutlass Supreme Classic,

The A-arms would be the same. They certainly come up with some weird things on the supreme vs Calais subject, like saying the motor mounts are different on a Calais; which is not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor