Wheel Fitment Guide

Nov 17, 2013
I have an 83 regal that I recently got while over there that is still there but I am in Australia, I really want to put 8inch rallies with 275/60/15 radials on it. I want to order some wheels & get them put on the car before it gets shipped home.
What I need to know is what B/S should I get that will work & get the tyre tucked under the guards.

Alex41

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2013
Hendersonville TN
I can't be more happy with my purchase of wheels. These things fit better than any wheel I've ever used on ANY car.

First let's go over the suspension set up. I'm running the B body spindle with Camaro 1LE rotors up front and LS1 F body brakes out back. The front brakes required NO modification to run these wheels but there was a back spacing issue to be understood. With the larger rotors and spindles, the front wheels tend to push out more toward the fender causing them to rub if your car is lowered like mine is. This being said, I opted for the 15x7 Billet Specialties Street Lite's with a 4.5" backspacing.

The rear brakes required a TON of grinding for the 15's to fit. These wheels were the most taxing to figure out since I planned on lowering the car in the rear as well. I originally had a 17x8 wheel on this car with a 4" backspacing but saw at least 2" of room towards the frame. I knew, going with a 275 60 15 tire, there would be some tire bulge as well. I guessed it to be better to have more back spacing than less. This way I could run a spacer if the tire got too close to the frame. The wheel I ordered was a 15x8 with a 4.5" backspace. Turns out this was a PERFECT fit. I had to roll the fender lip up but that was it. This wheel and tire combo doesn't rub on ANYTHING and I didn't have to use a spacer. :D

Here's the before of the rear caliper.

Malibu14_zpsbce75140.jpg

And here's the aftermath.

Malibu15_zpsf3bb4c00.jpg

Totally digging the new look of the car with the "old school" style wheel tire combo. Enjoy.

Malibu16_zpsfb2548f3.jpg

Malibu17_zps62c4223f.jpg

Malibu18_zps876606e2.jpg

Malibu19_zpsaf581c43.jpg

In summation:

15x7 with 4.5 backspace 205 60 15
15x8 with 4.5 backspace 275 60 15

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Has anyone tried 2nd gen. F-body wheels? I have a set of 10th Anniversary T/A wheels (15x 8 or 8.5), and don't know the backspace.

It looks like the 15x8 w/ 4" backspace I have on my Ols SS1's won't work too well with the 275/60's. :evil: I'll try it for myself, but so far this thread is pretty discouraging.

MadMax87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2013
Wisconsin
Alex41, how much room do you have before rubbing rear frame rails? Loving the look you have, but if possible I would like to avoid rolling the fenders. Would a 15x8 with 5" backspace fit with the same tire you think?

Alex41

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2013
Hendersonville TN
MadMax87 said:
Alex41, how much room do you have before rubbing rear frame rails? Loving the look you have, but if possible I would like to avoid rolling the fenders. Would a 15x8 with 5" backspace fit with the same tire you think?

Not a chance.....The tire isn't touching the frame in any spot but there may be 3/8ths inch between them....maybe.

Thanks for the props BTW. More people who knew this car before I bought it are digging the new look. 8)

uneek1976

G-Body Guru
Jul 24, 2009
Sugar Grove IL/ Chicago
Qdub24 said:
dhow82 said:
I have an 86 cutlass that im wanting to run a staggered set of 20s on . my question is am i able to run a 20x10 inch wheel with a 2 inch lip and a 45 offset,and if so,is there any modifications required. the wheels are black status knight and they are originally for a 2010 camaro.any help would be greatly appreciated . thanks

If you mean a +45 offset then no.

backspacing-chart2.gif
Can someone explain this backspacing chart please?

MadMax87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 8, 2013
Wisconsin
So pardon my idiocy, but I want to be 100% sure here. I have read the entire thread numerous times and have a good idea what I can fit. I have a 79 Malibu, suspension is stock. I am thinking 15x8 rear 15x7 front both with 4" backspacing. Can I fit a 275/60/15 rear tire? Some say yes with room to spare, others say I need to roll the fenders. Basically I want the biggest tire that will fit without issue. Sorry again for my lack of knowledge lol, and thanks for the help!

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
I run a 275 60 drag radial on a 15x8 for my 79 monte.

Rolling the fender is just good cheap insurance for saving the tires.

Jan 27, 2014
I have an '85 Monte Carlo SS and I was wondering if I would be able to put 18" by 8" wheels on my car. The question im stuck on is what would the back spacing have to be. Iv read that 4.5 and 5" is probably the biggest I could get away with but that was with 17" rims. I haven't seen much for 18's and how wide you can go with it along with the backspacing for tat size.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor