Which donor vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
Sorry to make a new thread for this but I couldn't find an answer no where else. I'm doing a 350SBC swap into my 85 cutlass and I'm going to change to a serpentine belt system. I browsed my local junkyard but I was unable to find a system off an F-body car. I did find a 89-90 Caprice and some 4.3 Blazer/S-10 with the serpentine system. I know some systems may be to close to the power steering box. My question is which vehicle would give me good clearance between the power-steering pulley and the steering box? Would it be the caprice or the Blazer/S-10? Thank you in advance for your help.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Don't know for sure about the Caprice setup but the S-truck setup will fit.

glhman222

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2009
be aware the directions thing are moving and supposed to be moving, make a diagram first

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You'll also need a reverse rotation water pump to complete the package.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The only thing that won't rotate the same direction is the water pump. Everything else is ribbed. It'll look like this when it's done.
pulleys.jpg

And thanks for remembering Jack... it'd suck to be chasing a phantom cooling problem that's fairly simple to resolve ;) I got mine for an '88 Chevy truck just because that's what my original setup was from, but you should be able to use it from just about any 4.3/SBC-powered car with a serpentine setup up to around '95. I believe it was when they went to Vortecs that they went to the thread-on plastic fan.

joye227

Apprentice
May 11, 2009
South Carolina
I'm gonna get it off of the caprice or the 4.3. I spoke wit 85_SS and his is from a 91 caprice and he has a good amount of clearance between the power steering pulley and steering box. Just gotta make sure I remember to take a power steering puller with me when I go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor