Who cuts wood for heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
We have always cut wood out here for heat in Southern Michigan. For the last 20 years or so we always used what I would call throw away saws. 120 dollar walmart specials. They would last a couple seasons then be junk, buy another. Finally about 4 years ago I took the leap and purchased a pricey Stihl chainsaw. Man what a difference over these junk walmart poulans. What do you guys use?

1115121526ar.jpg

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
Yep those cheap ones dont last long . As always bigger is better . My favorite saw is my old Sthil 036 super . It will out cut newer larger husy's everyday the week . But We have Husky,Johnson, And several others up to 90 CC range

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Ya I kind of want to go a little bigger on the saw. I currently have the MS270 50cc with an 18" bar pictured above. I do still have one of my poulans with a 16"bar and an ancient craftsman with a 14" bar. Both those smaller saws are used for trimming and thats about it. They do a good job at that. But when cutting up some of the larger trunks of the trees we cut the 270 sometimes seems to be a bit underpowered and occasionally the bar length causes issues. I am thinking maybe a MS 391 or possibly step up into the pro saws with the MS 362.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Stihl makes good stuff. I use their saws, weed eaters, blowers.....I have a weedeater thats almost 20 yrs old, still works like a charm. Husquvarna also makes a good saw.

sbc383rulz

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2013
Western Washington
i see i have the "big saws" of the bunch, i have a 440 magnum stihl right now my first saw was a 039 and i had a 064 for a long time.. course i used to log for a living so.. pissed me off though while i was deployed to Iraq my 064 and 039 got stolen out of my locked shed!! damn tweakers.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I love my husky 372 xp with a 20 inch bar... but i have ran the other brands of saws and the husky seems to cut the fastest out of the bunch.

OldGG

Apprentice
Oct 11, 2013
WA
rustyroger said:
I use an ax and a saw, a good aerobic workout and I'm plenty warm enough when I'm finished. :D

Roger.

Yes I get warm two or three times by my fire wood. :wink:

Brother Al

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
I own 3 McCulloch Pro Mac 610's, 1 Super ProMac 610, and 1 650... marginally slower than those Stihls and quite a bit heavier, but the 605-850 McCulloch Series (1978-'94?) were/are the toughest chainsaws McCulloch ever made... rugged, very reliable, & total animals that wont give up on ya... Damn shame the company was run into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor