Who has installed an ignition kill switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
been pondering about the same... anything that'll help for someone to NOT steal our g rides..

Footbrake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2006
Buffalo, New York
kill switch

Mount a switch under your dash somewhere. Run 2 -12 guage wires from it through the firewall and splice them into the power wire that goes to the distributor hot lead . Simple as that. Very useful on a hot day at the races when the motor wants to crank over a little slow. Shut the switch, turn the motor over and hit the switch on.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
I'm with footbrake I have done a bunch of cars that way for people

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
I got one of the big ones with the red key that you remove. I mounted it where the ash tray goes. It goes directly to the battery. When the key is out the car gets no power at all. Only problem with that is you have to reset your radio everytime, but you could get a power saver that plugs into your cig lighter.

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
or just run your memory wire for your radio straight to the battery

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
The cheap easy way to do Footbrakes suggestion:

1. Get a standard 6' 120v extension chord and cut off both ends on one end connect both wires to the terminals on your switch on the other end put a shielded female blade terminal on one wire and a shielded male blade on the other.
2. Under the hood disconnect the coil power wire plug the male blade into the wire and the female to the coil.
3. Operate switch to test. Should have a working kill switch with no cutting of the factory wires.
4. Route the wire through the fly wheel through an existing grommet (there are plenty), and reconnect the switch (cannot feed through the fire wall with it connected - I tried).
5. Find good place to hide the switch. I recommend in the kick panel below the e-brake or between the drivers door and the sill plate. It cannot be seen, and you can even turn it on with people in the car and they will not know it (if you hang out with low-lives or give a stranger a ride).
6. Try to avoid putting the switch under the dash. It is the first place they look.
7. Buy a column lock so they walk past your car, and do not find out that you have a kill switch only after destroying your door and column.

Total cost (not including the column lock) about $4.00 (if you don't have the stuff lying around). I did this while at a friends house out of town in less than 20 minutes (really bad hood and a Monte kept driving by checking my car out when it was still black).

kingcolbert83

G-Body Guru
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah a column lock is something good to get. If you can get the old one. I've heard of the newer ones being broken. I'm not really worried bout them finding it because the one I have takes a key and is not the toggle swithch kind.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
It only takes a key until they rip it out. Then it takes a little electrical tape to twist the wires together. If they cannot find it, they cannot rip it out or bypass it. You can still hide a key switch, it just has to be a little easier to reach since you cant flip it with your foot.

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
Why not 2 switches - one in the trunk and one in the front of the car? That'll leave them stumped or pissed - whichever

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor