Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
G-Body_Vet said:
othtim said:
Wow sounds a lot like a lot of you would hate my car, lol...no A/C, no emissions, no heater core or heater box (blockoff plate), black painted motor, chrome valve covers and breather and air cleaner, column shift, etc...lol.

I wouldn't go as far to say that. Lots of us are just at different points with hotrodding, mods, restoration and experience. I've probably done half of the things about 15 years ago that I hate to see now. Peoples' taste seems to change as we get older. You learn to appreciate a clean original car over a fad that will eventually play out. But anyway that's my .02.
X2...with age comes simplicity...and appreciation for the original car especially if it was restored to look like it never was.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Bonnewagon said:
Wowsers. Translation: it was forced upon us by paid-off government lackeys so feel free to rip it all off and it it runs badly, just floor it? Well, I like clean air and water so unfortunatly the 70's-80's was a learning period for the car manufacturers. The razor sharp performance and fuel mileage we take for granted now is a result of those early emissions controls. Like I said, if you know your sh*t, have at it. But for a noob to just yank it all then b*tch, that's just stupid.

I like clean air too....but the fact that the air we breathe today is cleaner than it was 20 years ago is mostly due to the clean air act and its clamp down on industry. I agree with the razor sharp performance, but the mileage today is a joke. We should be getting 40-50 mpg nowadays with the modern technology we have. The only thing the manufactures have done well since the 70's has been the gain in horsepower versus engine size. But I cant understand why they cant build a economical car that gets 60mpg?

Like Jay Leno once said....the enviromental impact of restoring and using an older car with less emission control is less than the damage caused by building a new hybrid camry!

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
bill said:
Bonnewagon said:
Wowsers. Translation: it was forced upon us by paid-off government lackeys so feel free to rip it all off and it it runs badly, just floor it? Well, I like clean air and water so unfortunatly the 70's-80's was a learning period for the car manufacturers. The razor sharp performance and fuel mileage we take for granted now is a result of those early emissions controls. Like I said, if you know your sh*t, have at it. But for a noob to just yank it all then b*tch, that's just stupid.

I like clean air too....but the fact that the air we breathe today is cleaner than it was 20 years ago is mostly due to the clean air act and its clamp down on industry. I agree with the razor sharp performance, but the mileage today is a joke. We should be getting 40-50 mpg nowadays with the modern technology we have. The only thing the manufactures have done well since the 70's has been the gain in horsepower versus engine size. But I cant understand why they cant build a economical car that gets 60mpg?

Like Jay Leno once said....the enviromental impact of restoring and using an older car with less emission control is less than the damage caused by building a new hybrid camry!

exactly my point... you want something economical, dont be a dumbass and buy a new 2010 hybrid that can only get 30mpg and is still slow... get a honda from the 80s that was getting 40-60 mpg and turbocharge that b*tch or dont i dont give a ****.... its less than a 10th the price and gets twice the fuel economy and is cheaper to repair... and upside... there is a good chance they made it in manual where the 2010 hybrid, build by dumbasses for dumbasses, and dumbasses cant drive standard

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
bill said:

Hybrid owners get pissed when you point this out :lol:

Bad mod: welding the spider gears on your 7.5 :rofl:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
How about screwing a 5" monster tach into the side of your original dash :rofl:

Installing a ratchet shifter with a bench seat and realizing its out of reach (for comfort) :lol:

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE
Re: Worst modification you can make to a g body

tc1959 said:
Congratulations Captain Cave Man. That's fine if your are building a ET car but. :wtf:

Nope not building a drag car... Just don't like that ugly *ss box.. and would rather have the windows down then run air.. the car never gets driven when it's cold.. so heats not needed...

And as far as resale value goes.. she isn't going anywhere.. it's been in and out of my dad's shop since the warranty ran up in '83 and I've owned it since 2004 (when I got it for X mas)..

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

silent_orchestra said:
and would rather have the windows down then run air..

You're a better man than me! On those 95+ degree days with high humidity I'll gladly take the a/c. I had enough of sweating my a$$ off in g-bodies years ago. Besides, functional a/c reflects the level of refinement when you build a proper street car.

My car will never see a track and the weight difference of a fully equipped car won't matter with 455 torque :wink:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

G-Body_Vet said:
silent_orchestra said:
and would rather have the windows down then run air..

You're a better man than me! On those 95+ degree days with high humidity I'll gladly take the a/c. I had enough of sweating my a$$ off in g-bodies years ago. Besides, functional a/c reflects the level of refinement when you build a proper street car.

My car will never see a track and the weight difference of a fully equipped car won't matter with 455 torque :wink:

x2...I like the comforts and although I don't have a 455 I don't think my time getting to work is off by more than a 1/10 with the ac on... :mrgreen:

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I just have to do it again....

CHROME IROCS
CHROME IROCS
CHROME IROCS

On a cutlass.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor