Not open for further replies.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Re: Worst modification you can make to a g body

pontiacgp said:
G-Body_Vet said:
silent_orchestra said:
and would rather have the windows down then run air..

You're a better man than me! On those 95+ degree days with high humidity I'll gladly take the a/c. I had enough of sweating my a$$ off in g-bodies years ago. Besides, functional a/c reflects the level of refinement when you build a proper street car.

My car will never see a track and the weight difference of a fully equipped car won't matter with 455 torque :wink:

x2...I like the comforts and although I don't have a 455 I don't think my time getting to work is off by more than a 1/10 with the ac on... :mrgreen:

I do a lot of highway/expressway driving. I also plan to do a Route 66 cruise when the car is done. Doing it in comfort will be a huge plus. Why be hot and pissed about the gas mileage :lol:

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE

G-Body_Vet said:
silent_orchestra said:

You're a better man than me! On those 95+ degree days with high humidity I'll gladly take the a/c. I had enough of sweating my a$$ off in g-bodies years ago. Besides, functional a/c reflects the level of refinement when you build a proper street car.

My car will never see a track and the weight difference of a fully equipped car won't matter with 455 torque :wink:

My 425 has plenty of torque too, but with that box gone you'll be able to see it better! 3 Rochesters on top suckin' fuel makes you forget about how hot it is...

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
This has got me curious, my father and I just removed the smog pump and AIR things (plugged them up with small fittings) and I'm curious if beyond not cleaning the emissions I haven't noticed any decrease in performance or anything. What are the problems that people usually have? ( I saved what we ripped off but I think they'll stay off for now)

I'm not really a fan of the convertible G-bodies I've seen, I know t tops rattle and leak but they are pretty cool and sorta a signature piece for these cars and I think if you have them it's an annoyance you get over on those couple of nice days a year that you want em.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

silent_orchestra said:
G-Body_Vet said:
silent_orchestra said:

My 425 has plenty of torque too, but with that box gone you'll be able to see it better! 3 Rochesters on top suckin' fuel makes you forget about how hot it is...

To each his/her own but with the hood closed you can see anything but you can feel the heat. I never put my ego or bragging rights over my reasonable comfort. If you want to really feel heat in a car go check out a circle track car after a race, just put your hand on a bar in the car.... none of those race car drivers have a daily driver street car that is without ac

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
trevorjm said:
This has got me curious, my father and I just removed the smog pump and AIR things (plugged them up with small fittings) and I'm curious if beyond not cleaning the emissions I haven't noticed any decrease in performance or anything. What are the problems that people usually have? ( I saved what we ripped off but I think they'll stay off for now)

I've removed the AIR tubes as well when they rust out. I've also gotten rid of smog pumps when bearings start to squeal. It was always a cost vs benefit of replacing that stuff IMO.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
G-Body_Vet said:
trevorjm said:

I've removed the AIR tubes as well when they rust out. I've also gotten rid of smog pumps when bearings start to squeal. It was always a cost vs benefit of replacing that stuff IMO.
Oh okay, thanks that is good to know. I've had a few problems with the engine but I think it was coincidence it happened at the same time as I removed those things (just check engine light and really rough idle, I believe some tune up things would cure it). I've kept everything but those two things.

silent_orchestra

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2009
Omaha, NE

You drive for 7 years with out air you get used to it... And I've got an '03 Ram 3500 if I want heat and air....

Also my ego and bragging rights always come before comfort... a bit off topic but My '22 Dodge Coupe is chopped 5" not because it's comfy.. but because it looks cool.. It runs drums on all 4 corners because that's what it would've had back in the day.. Lever action shocks blow hard compared to the tube shocks I could've ran.. IFS and IRS would handle better than the 30's tube axle and solid rear and front and rear parallel leaves.. and an 350/350 combo would make a hell of a lot more power than the 223 Ford inline 6 bolted to a 4spd OD top loader.. but it doesn't have that inline sound, or that old transmission feel.. My 3 glass bowl holley carbs leak like sivs.. but I'll be damned if I hang an edelbrock on it.. and the 50's McCulloch blower hanging off the side is a dinosaur compared to a new paxton... But god dammit it's cool.

My cutlass is the same way.. Sure heat and ac would be nice.. but with out it there's nothing to hide the engine I've put god knows how much money in.. There's a nice big empty space under the dash to hang the amps for my component speakers.. There's a place where the compressor was for another alternator.. etc.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny

silent_orchestra said:
a bit off topic but My '22 Dodge Coupe is chopped 5" not because it's comfy.. but because it looks cool.. It runs drums on all 4 corners because that's what it would've had back in the day.. Lever action shocks blow hard compared to the tube shocks I could've ran.. IFS and IRS would handle better than the 30's tube axle and solid rear and front and rear parallel leaves.. and an 350/350 combo would make a hell of a lot more power than the 223 Ford inline 6 bolted to a 4spd OD top loader.. but it doesn't have that inline sound, or that old transmission feel.. My 3 glass bowl holley carbs leak like sivs.. but I'll be damned if I hang an edelbrock on it.. and the 50's McCulloch blower hanging off the side is a dinosaur compared to a new paxton... But god dammit it's cool.

Even more off topic, but oh well, I wanna see pics of this Rod!!! Sounds like an awesome ride! 8)

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.

G-Body_Vet said:
silent_orchestra said:

Yea me too .It was 107 here yesterday. AC is a must have here and I think it shows another level of commitment to make everything work like new on a 33 year old car. Not just rip every thing out 8)

Attachments

• imagesCAHNCHP1.jpg
    imagesCAHNCHP1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1,257

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010

tc1959 said:
Yea me too .It was 107 here yesterday. AC is a must have here and I think it shows another level of commitment to make everything work like new on a 33 year old car. Not just rip every thing out

silent_orchestra said:
My cutlass is the same way.. Sure heat and ac would be nice.. but with out it there's nothing to hide the engine I've put god knows how much money in.. There's a nice big empty space under the dash to hang the amps for my component speakers.. There's a place where the compressor was for another alternator.. etc.

Yep, both built for completely different purposes. The last car I purposely gutted was my '85 SS, which was about 16 years ago. It made a hell of a difference in cooling by not having the condenser in front of the radiator. It made life easier to get to the plugs with headers too. That car was more of an all out runner.

My current GP is going to have creature comforts and maybe geared towards being a sleeper. Quiet....er mufflers, factory rallyes possibly, but subtle hints of being all about business to the trained eye. The car is already nicely optioned and I want to retain that this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor