WTF Hot Rod Magazine?

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I still have a lot of the HRM/Car Craft/PHR , etc, issues from the 80s-90s. there was one article they did on a fullsize 67 Impala (like the one I have) that was not stripped and was pulling fast 1/4 miles. I've still got that same issue somewhere in the magazine storage boxes on my shelves.

sold off my Import Sport from the early 90s on eBy last year. got a as much as I paid for them, what an investment! :ROFLMAO:
Funny you say that, I kept almost every issue until like 2012 or so. Then when I was getting resto sell my house, I tossed them in the trash. I really wish I hadn’t done that.
My memory of hot rod came in handy on a job interview. I walked into a shop and I saw a big picture of a feature article. Turned out the owner that was interviewing me, painted the car. I remembered a lot about the article, so he knew I was passionate about hot rods. Helped me land that gig.

Reactions: 4 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Still a couple of Indie Car Magazine Publishers up here and I guess that it is now time to subscribe to them just to keep a-light what feeble light still exists.

Wondered what had happened to HotRod, so now I know. This goes further back than some might think; all the way back to when Peterson Publishing sold and the bean counters and lawyers got their hooks into the venue. Ever notice how the how-to articles disappeared almost entirely except for a few generic submissions? Lawyers. Can't have that in the rag because someone might actually follow those steps and get hurt or hurt someone else. Recommend certain parts? Can't do that, we're not being paid to promote that manufacturer. Then the bean counters chimed in with WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, too many pages, too expensive, no profits for the stock holders, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ...... You get the idea.

Nick

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It's the way of our world now, unfortunately. Reviewing an article for technical information has been replaced by google and social media. Personally, I don't feel we are better for it either. Our kids are taught that retention of knowledge is not necessary because it can be found in seconds, as long as the interwebs is working lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
It's the way of our world now, unfortunately. Reviewing an article for technical information has been replaced by google and social media. Personally, I don't feel we are better for it either. Our kids are taught that retention of knowledge is not necessary because it can be found in seconds, as long as the interwebs is working lol.
yeah, if I could be guaranteed forever access to the magazine issues I bought years ago, I would gladly dump them all. my brother got me a subscription to Scientific American back in the early 80s while I was in high school. kept those for about 35 yrs and then donated them to my daughter's high school Intro to Engineering class. they were VERY happy to have them. that magazine was published on glossy paper with nice engineering drawings and layouts.

it let the instructors show a number of things, such as:
-the state of computer graphics at the time
-the state of computer/engineering knowledge at the time
-different graphics/explanations from experts in their field at the time

a couple years later after they had a change of instructors (retirement, etc), I was in her high school and asked the teacher a probing question about something. she said "oh yeah, someone donated some fantastic material a couple years ago. some old Scientific American magazines" . I simply looked at her and said "You're welcome" . It took her a few seconds to do 2+2 😁

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"How'd it happen? Damn fool took a round in the leg/foot/?? while trying to swap out a clip and watch the internet how to do that at the same time."

"There are just some times and situations in life where the institutional knowledge that has been embedded in one's back brain by experience becomes invaluable; particularly when dealing with active stupidity."

CopperNick, 2024

Reactions: 2 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Been a subscriber to HR since 1984, I’m dropping it when it expires. Got my first quarterly issue in a few weeks ago and while a cool retro Pro Street issue with cars I remember very well, it didn’t change my mind. Only car magazine left that I get will be Hemming’s Muscle Car.
Another paper mag dying a slow death. It will last about a year and then not publish anymore. I hope Hemmings doesnt go that way too.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor