YaoGuaiCutlass - 1986 Cutlass Supreme Brougham Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
olds307 and 403 said:
If you can get the ports close enough, it should work. If it runs like crap, save up for a Performer. A 6" tail TH350 would be the easiest fit. What pistons are in it, big dish?

I don't know off hand. They are stock pistons right now. Here is the best picture of them I have at the moment.

Attachments

• 557556_449802178466526_1995570090_n.jpg
    557556_449802178466526_1995570090_n.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,079
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Probably the big dish pistons, run shim head gaskets. They are more but will gain a good .5 in compression.Go very conservative , if you are swapping the cam. What is wrong with the Qjet? If you want an aftermarket carb, get the new 625 cfm Street Demon.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
olds307 and 403 said:
Probably the big dish pistons, run shim head gaskets. They are more but will gain a good .5 in compression.Go very conservative , if you are swapping the cam. What is wrong with the Qjet? If you want an aftermarket carb, get the new 625 cfm Street Demon.

The Qjet is great, finely tuned, perfect just want something a little more show worthy and "high performance" without having to do extensive work. As for the cam, I might swap depending on what kind I find. Any suggestion that are cheap, power worthy, and give it a boost?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't buy the Performer cam, bleeds off too much compression. Cutlassefi doecustom grinds for low compression Olds V8's. Done on a very tight lobe seperation, he frequents Classic Olds site. The Lunati High efficiency series 207/207 .461/.461 112 LSA would be a nice off the shelf grind.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
olds307 and 403 said:

The Qjet is excellent, fine tuned, just not as pretty as I want. I want something that gives a little more edge and has a nice look. How much is that Street demon run? What cams could you point me to that are cheaper, good for running hard, and last long?

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
Looks like you are well on your way. Car looks straight, other than the frame rot. I think you are doing it right to do it your way. No one has to be more pleased with the final result than you. Shrug off the Nay-Sayers and make it yours.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
olds307 and 403 said:
Probably the big dish pistons, run shim head gaskets. They are more but will gain a good .5 in compression.

From the pic those are the small dish pistons. I had this motor. It's a carry over from 1970 til early year 71. The cr on that engine was not 8:1, it was more like 9.5:1. A change to the #5 or #4 heads will jump the cr up to 10.25 cr. Mid '71 they used the large dish pistons and the #6 heads with a true 8:1 cr. I had that motor too. Until I tore them apart I could never figure out why the carry over was a stronger engine and they had identical ID numbers. Always a surprise when your open up a early olds motor. :roll:
T

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
mac61891 said:
Looks like you are well on your way. Car looks straight, other than the frame rot. I think you are doing it right to do it your way. No one has to be more pleased with the final result than you. Shrug off the Nay-Sayers and make it yours.

Thanks :) A lot of people give me crap for what I want to do with it such as using a 350 Rocket over a Chevy or 455. I actually got a lot of bitching towards me for using the 307 intake and people saying it won't work because they 2 different motors. So people I just don't understand and some don't understand me.

Another thing people b**** at me about is my 83 El Camino having a 350 Oldsmobile Rocket in it. The thing burns rubber, smokes the streets, and gets me from point A to point B.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I like the sounds of the El Camino :D. I love the torque curve of my TBI Olds 350 in my 4x4. The 350 is great in my 88 CSC too, just needs more compression to be competitive at our track. Looks like you can get away with cheaper .028" or .041" head gaskets, you should have a strong runner. A cam change will go along way with an extra point of compression.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
olds307 and 403 said:
I like the sounds of the El Camino :D. I love the torque curve of my TBI Olds 350 in my 4x4. The 350 is great in my 88 CSC too, just needs more compression to be competitive at our track. Looks like you can get away with cheaper .028" or .041" head gaskets, you should have a strong runner. A cam change will go along way with an extra point of compression.

X2 with all points mentioned. I was laughed at by my friends, until my 71 pulled a front wheel on street tires while the nay sayers were standing there. I loved that part. Oh, I had a stock cam. The set up was all stock except, A '69 4bbl intake (yes it was iron), And Q-jet from a 500ci Caddy motor, Hooker headers, and a 10inch TQ converter, TH350 with a shift kit, and rear coil springs that were out of a 68 pickup. It launched very hard. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor