Aluminum Cutlass Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V6UnderPressure

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2008
New Lenox, IL
I have read threads where people have found aluminum bumper supports, aluminum hoods etc. What Cutlass do this parts come from? Would an 87 442 have any of these parts factory? Thanks for any help. Shaving weight! :mrgreen:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
diesel cutlasses are usually the place to start. sometimes aluminum hoods and bumper supports. i got a rear aluminum bumper but honestly cant say for sure what it came off because i dont remember. Im not sure there was any rhyme or reason to aluminum parts on these, you have to get lucky it seems

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Depends on weight and options in conjunction with EPA mileage ratings I have heard. Mine has an alum front bumper support but a steel rear. THe car is a brougham loaded with a moonroof. I'd say they tried to save weight from the moonroof.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've never seen where anyone has pinned down any pattern so it is fairly random. Like Peter said, diesels seem to be a good place to look. Logic would dictate that heavily optioned cars should be more likely to have aluminum parts. It also seems that the '78-'80s were more commonly found with aluminum parts. My '79 Supreme Brougham has bumper supports (front and rear), rear drums and hood and it is NOT well optioned. Apparently logic has nothing to do with it :lol: . I believe the aluminum trunk was only available on the '82-up. I could be wrong on that though.
I've seen combinations or just one or all the available aluminum parts on wrecking yard Cutlasses. I believe the body parts are Cutlass only (not positive on the bumper supports). The drums have been found on Monte Carlos and El Caminos but it's possible that the rearends weren't original to the vehicles. I doubt that they are Cutlass specific any more than parts like swaybars or braces. They seem to be somewhat random too but not as much.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Aluminum TRUNK? This is fantastic, I've never heard of it, but what a score if you could find one! There had to be an initial reason for them tooling up for the aluminum parts, I've just gone under the assumption that it had something to do with the diesel cars, and with the low diesel production, that eventually the aluminum parts just found their way onto whatever. Good reason to keep your eyes open in the junkyards, don't let these pieces get crushed!

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Oh crap! I misspoke. The Monte Carlo got the aluminum trunk. I was looking for specifics after I posted and realized my mistake. I forgot about the aluminum core support on the Cutlass though and was reminded of that during my search.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Olds cutlass factory race cars only had the alum trunk lid very rare.This was not on the give away cars but on the factory sponsored race cars.

Extreme Supreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2010
Monroe, Michigan 48161
DRIVEN said:
Oh crap! I misspoke. The Monte Carlo got the aluminum trunk. I was looking for specifics after I posted and realized my mistake. I forgot about the aluminum core support on the Cutlass though and was reminded of that during my search.
As far as I know,the Aluminum core support is found on a Grand Prix only.That is where mine came from.The only thing I found to be different is at the front of the inner fenders(plastic fenderwells) There is about a two inch gap.No biggie really.

2010-10-17_09-45-03_7.jpg

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I didn't know about the GP getting it too. Good to know there's other options. The Cutlass definitely got them. I've personally touched them and put them to the magnet test (keep one in the junk yard tool bag for that very reason). They aren't common for sure. I think rebelgtp has one on his diesel '80. I'd have to go back and find his build to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor