Aluminum Cutlass Parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldstech

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2009
Griffin, Ga
There are tons of myths of wat car got what Aluminum parts. Altho from word of mouth, the diesel cars are the most common for AL parts. Altho my 1981 Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a 350 diesel. Doesn't have one piece of Aluminum from the factory.The 78-80 cars got the most AL parts. I seen this myself from searching the yards. But do a internet search for that specific part to find out what cars. I did this and made a notebook that I took to the junkyard with me and a magnet of course. I cant remember all the specific cars what part and dont want to mislead you.

But here what I collected over the past 4 years:
AL drums came off an 3rd gen Camaro from a member on thirdgenforum
AL hood found in a junk yard on a cutlass (unknown engine)
AL core support brought from a member here (it didnt come out of a regal or gp cant remember the cars name)
AL Front and rear bumper core were brought from eightupman on Oldspowers.com
AL driveshaft out of an 01 ZR2 (S-10) from the junkyard (going to removing it. Its huge and under big bumps it hits the bottom of my car and it is only like an half pound lighter) The local driveshaft shop will custom make an AL driveshift for $275.

I think, thats all the Aluminum parts u can find in the junkyard for an Cutlass.

I purchased the Aluminium replacement for the Front and Rear bumper shocks from G-bodyparts

Next on my list is get an Ice man crossmember.

EDIT: It was an ZR2 S-10 not an ZR1

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I pulled my aluminum core support off a 78-80 Grand Prix. It was a 301 LJ I think. It also had an aluminum front bumper laying next to it.

For cutlasses I found out that earlier ones had more. My 81 supreme 3.8 has an aluminum front bumper support but my 84 307 and 85 307 salon had steel supports.

Id love to see someone take a 78-80 Cutlass/Regal, put an alum hood on, alum bumper supports, alum trunk, alum core support and have low options, no radio, manual windows, no AC with a 3.8 and see how light you could get a G body and still be stock appearing. Im betting 3200 if not less. Wouldnt be supring if it was less than 3000 if you took out the sound deadening and put alum intake on and got rid of the emmions stuff.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
i've run across aluminum core supports in only 78-80 Pontiacs,: Lemans, Grand ams and and Grand prix's, so far 4 core supports to be exact in the last 10 or so years of parts hunting..I've read that only BOP g body's only got the core support not Chevy not sure if it's accurate though. Aluminum drums i've seen on a variety of g body models , f bodys and even s-10's, though there is know way of seeing if they were original or not to the vehicles. I've actually seen a few cutty's both 2dr and 4dr with hoods and trunks, and even had the aluminum bumper core supports. Montes also have them as well. My 85 GP actually has the rear aluminum bumper core but not the front.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
G-BODY LARRY said:
DRIVEN said:
Oh crap! I misspoke. The Monte Carlo got the aluminum trunk. I was looking for specifics after I posted and realized my mistake. I forgot about the aluminum core support on the Cutlass though and was reminded of that during my search.
As far as I know,the Aluminum core support is found on a Grand Prix only.That is where mine came from.The only thing I found to be different is at the front of the inner fenders(plastic fenderwells) There is about a two inch gap.No biggie really.

2010-10-17_09-45-03_7.jpg

G-BODY LARRY how did you get it so clean media blasting? Looks great! I am thinking of doing the same to mine and polishing the crap out of the upper portion where the latch bolts on to. :D

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
81cutlass said:
Id love to see someone take a 78-80 Cutlass/Regal, put an alum hood on, alum bumper supports, alum trunk, alum core support and have low options, no radio, manual windows, no AC with a 3.8 and see how light you could get a G body and still be stock appearing. Im betting 3200 if not less. Wouldnt be supring if it was less than 3000 if you took out the sound deadening and put alum intake on and got rid of the emmions stuff.

That sounds about right.

Extreme Supreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2010
Monroe, Michigan 48161
85GPLef41 said:
G-BODY LARRY how did you get it so clean media blasting? Looks great! I am thinking of doing the same to mine and polishing the crap out of the upper portion where the latch bolts on to. :D

Took it to a professional sandblaster dude then brought it home and clear coated it with a LPHV paint sprayer.You should see the shine on that thing :D

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
G-BODY LARRY said:
85GPLef41 said:

Took it to a professional sandblaster dude then brought it home and clear coated it with a LPHV paint sprayer.You should see the shine on that thing :D

hmm something to consider i want mine to look something like this one on this Malibu
http://www.maliburacing.com/aluminum_support.html

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
There was no rhyme or reason for aluminum parts nor was it due to EPA weight savings and I have proof:

I had TWO 84 Calais that were identical looking, both black with sand gray interiors and hard tops however one was a 350 DX diesel and one was a 307.

The 350 DX diesel DID NOT come with an aluminum hood or aluminum bumpers
but
The 307 came with an aluminum hood and aluminum bumpers :shock:

Completely throws the whole "EPA weight savings" concept out the window.
Explain that...

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
Intragration said:
81cutlass said:

That sounds about right.
I think you could get the car down to 3000lb with heater delete, manual stearing,manual brakes,light wheels,light brakes,remove the crash bars in the doors I'm not a fan of this mod for a steet car. Manual seats, hollow sway bars or no sway bars.lite weight trans cross member.Alum rad,light weight axles,ring gear.alum drive shaft,light weight battery,light weight battery cables.light weight headers with only muflers and dumps not a fan of this mod eigher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor