The largest community of 1978-1988 General Motors G-Body cars. Chevrolet Malibu, El Camino, Monte Carlo; Oldsmobile Cutlass, 442, Hurst/Olds; Buick Regal, Century, T-Type, Grand National; Pontiac Grand Am, Grand Prix, LeMans, Bonneville; GMC Caballero
Get the GBodyForum e-mail newsletter!, Contests, Events, Deals, Forum News and More!
It appears you're not logged in! Not a member? Registration's FREE and only takes a minute!
Register now or Log in to hide this ad block.
GBodyForum Supporting Vendor

Custom Hood

Tech articles about restoration and modification w/ stock parts (aka. "restification")

To deflect or not to deflect

Deflector Hood
33%
Cowl Hood
46%
Flat Hood
21%

Total votes : 39

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Custom Hood

Postby 84sscutty on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Hey guys, I would like to customize me a stock hood. This will be for a cutty of course. Tell me if ya'll think an air deflector type hood would look good on our cars. I'm wanting something that no one else else and just maybe make someone else want one. I'll show some pics from a firebird.
Attachments
34.jpg
31.jpg
30.jpg

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Re: Custom Hood

Postby FE3X CLONE on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:24 pm

I'll probably be working on a custom hood for my '87 as well when it gets warmer. I've done some research into the "air deflector" stuff and the issue with it is that unless you have wind tunnel testing and such, you can end up with something that doesn't work just as easy as something that might.

I also hate the typical cowl hoods out there as well as most any non-stock hood on an Olds. They just don't flow well with the body lines of the car and tend to look like an afterthought. However I think if you design one similar to the F-body in your post, it would look a lot better than the typical G-body cowl hoods.

On most any aftermarkt cowl scoop, their sides are always straight up and down for the most part. I think if you do a wide angle on the sides (45* or so) it would help the transition from a flat hood to the cowl portion much more pleasing on the eye.

My idea is to make a cowl scoop that actually starts at the very front of the header panel and is the full width of the hood between the two body lines that run towards the windshield.

I'm thinking if I take a few sheets of 1/4" plywood or masonite and cut templates out of it for the profile of the hood and scoop, then glue styrofoam in between the sheets and carve it to the shape I want, I can use that as a mold to make the fiberglass.
Andrew Geeting
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme - FE3X Pro-touring project
EFI 455/T-56/4.30
Image_________________________________________________________________________________

stallings.sean
Master Mechanic

Postby stallings.sean on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 pm

Im not sure if your intention is to be functional and want the air to flow smoothly from hood to roof of your car or if its just for looks. I think its a cool idea. I like the look of the hood you have. Check out the hood attached. Its called a 4 port extractor, for the camaro and trans ams. Its different and really makes a statement. I was going to put one on my 00 camaro before it was totalled. Not saying you should do that but its that different makes a bold statement. Id go for it.
Attachments
IMG_2099.jpg
1978 oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham
260 CID

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:27 pm

I not sure if I should taper the front of the cowl part of the hood like on the firebird. I don't really think it would look right since the cutlass is boxxy. I think I should do like clone says and make it almost the width of the hood between the 2 body lines, but that seems like it might almost be to squared off. Hell I aint sure, all I know is that I want something different and for it to look right and still have a lil class. Maybe I could do a sharp taper at the front towards the header and it still look ok. I need some more opinions on this potential hood. I may could even put some mini deflectors on the edge of the hood like on the hood below.
Attachments
38.jpg
41.jpg
40.jpg

oldtinsmith
Royal Smart Person

Postby oldtinsmith on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:56 pm

Good new thread! I tend to agree that the Z-28 cowl hood is used way to often and indeed can look like an after thought.
IMO, people should be careful not to build a hood that overpowers the look of the rest of the car (in reality, no modification should overpower another). But, if you like the look you've come up with build it with pride!!

Doug

JBreu
Royal Smart Person

Postby JBreu on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:56 pm

I like the Cowl hoods, so long as they aren't oversized and obnoxious looking.........You oughta give goodmark a call and see if they have anything you might like...I bought a steel 2" cowl hood ( functional as well) for my '84 Monte and I can't wait to get it installed this spring........Damn, gonna be a looong winter :(
1984 Monte Carlo with sbc 388 stroker ( dynoed 514hp) 700-r4 , 12 Bolt w/4:10
Old Chevy's Don't Die, They just get faster!
Best ET to date : 12.20 @110 Mph All Motor

SumoBu
Greasemonkey

Postby SumoBu on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 pm

x2 on the goodmarks, I have a 2" cowl on my bu and it fits great. That blue 3rd gen camaro is bad ass too.

84sscutty
G Body Guru

Postby 84sscutty on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:48 pm

I will probably go ahead and go for it in the early spring, that should give me ample time to play with the design a lil more. I will probably do like clone said for the sides, I will make em at a wide angle, otherwise it would look like a afterthought to say the least. Hell I'm even toying with the idea of making it a forward tilt deflector. I bet that would make a statement, maybe not a good one though.lol :) I just need to get the design on paper and a template.
Attachments
37.JPG

Stoopud
G Body Guru

Postby Stoopud on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Building your own hood is a great idea. Why have one just like everyone else's. If you do a search on here, I did a post a while back with pointers for how I did mine. Good luck. It's not really that hard and worth the work.
1983 T-Top PMD Seat Grand Prix - Phantom GTO Conversion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ZCKxKMqyo

FE3X CLONE
Royal Smart Person

Postby FE3X CLONE on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:34 pm

This isn't much more than a cowl hood but it's an idea I've been working on in my head for a while. Decided to throw it into the computer to see how it would look.

Essentially I would modify the stock Cutlass hood from the body lines by raising it 1" or so in the center then doing another 2.5" raised cowl hood in the very center. Similar to some of the Mustang hoods out there.

I think it would help keep the lines of the G-body without making it look like something was just stuck on.

Still needs some work but that's the direction.
Andrew Geeting
1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme - FE3X Pro-touring project
EFI 455/T-56/4.30
Image_________________________________________________________________________________

Next

Return to Restoration and Restification