Help! Fixed intake gaskets now trans is throwing codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
So fixed my Intake gaskets yesterday on my 2000 monte carlo ss with the 3.8 and the engine runs like new. As soon as i went to drive off the car was revving up to like 2000 and barely moving then the CEL came on. read the codes today and came up with
P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid Electrical
P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Electrical

P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Electrical
Now this cannot be a coincidence that my transmission decides to break as soon as i do the intake. She was working perfect when i brought it in and never even touched it. I doubled check all my connections and came across one at the back of the alternator that was unplugged but im pretty sure that it was never plugged in to begin with? Any ideas guys?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Common issue with the valve bodies in those cars. You may be able to get away with just replacing the solenoids, but sometimes the valve body needs to be replaced. It's kind of a c*ck to do if you don't have a lift, but it is possible. Unbolt the left side of the cradle, loosen the right, unbolt trans mounts, remove left cv shaft, sway links, droop the cradle down, remove side cover bolts, then you may have to raise or lower engine/transaxle assembly to weasel the cover off to get to the valve body. Get the parts from your local gm dealer, give the valve body a cleaning (I use brake clean), and hope for the best. The issue usually is the solenoids get debris in them (happened to my parents volvo too with the 4T65E). Not a big deal, just time consuming.

:blam: When you debating what car to ditch, I was going to mention this issue to you, but I didn't want to scare you away from an otherwise decent car. :oops:

At any rate make sure you didn't pinch any wires while doing the intake too.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think you need to double and triple check your wiring -- specifically the grounds. It's just too coincidental that there were no problems before but 3 electrical (solenoid) codes after the repair.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Exactly what DRIVEN said, go over the electrical with a fine tooth comb, check ANY linkages to the transmission. Man it's hard to say with modern vehicles because the electrical system are very complex.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ive looked over everything! Especially where the trans harness comes up from the back of the engine and cant find any wires cut! Unless one of the wires actually broke inside of the harness then that would be a real piss off! This happens to me with every car i have, fix one thing and then 3 other things break :blam: starting to get annoyed at this

iameggor

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2011
Montana
I agree with the other guys on wiring it is just to easy to have this issue after taking the top part of the engine apart, I had a mechanic fix a car of mine some years ago and pinched a wire and after a week of driving the wire broke and the car wouldn't start, the wire was one of the main spark signal wires from the ecm. I would just triple check the wires if it where me.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Another weird thing is that Before when i used to put the car in Drive it would lock the doors. Now it only does it if it put it in reverse? Park still unlocks the doors

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Make sure u have pwr comin in and goin out at the trans fuse. Alot of times the ign switch that pwrs the trans fuse sh*ts the bed. Bad contact points in the ign switch. I believe the wire is white in color. I usually just piggy back into another wire that has key power.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Another thing check the round plug on the side of the trans. All those sol's have the same pwr source and the r ground switched by the PCM.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well i checked the Trans sol fuse and it was good

What would the PCM look like on this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor