Help! Fixed intake gaskets now trans is throwing codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Lorenzo said:
Another weird thing is that Before when i used to put the car in Drive it would lock the doors. Now it only does it if it put it in reverse? Park still unlocks the doors

Right there it sounds like you pinched a wire, or left off a ground, triple check your work.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Check the round plug on the side of the transmission. There is a pink wire check it for pwr when the key is on.... Its the wire that comes from the trans fuse... I am willing to bet that wire is open, because it powers all the solnoids

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I would never try to fix my intake gasket on my own yet - to avoid problems like this. If you don't know what to do in order to troubleshoot this simple issue, you should never have taken on a job this complex and sent it to the shop for this one. If the car threw codes after the job, guys at the shop would have been forced to fix the problem before releasing you back the car. Know your limitations, it's good to learn & work on your cars, but it's not good to test your mechanical expertise on a car you need to get to work/school.

I had a jeep that behaved this way and I eventually traded it in. I found out the wires had been flooded w/ water at some point and that if I wanted to fix it I was probably going to have to replace the entire computer / re-wire the entire car. I got tired of replacing 1 wire / oxygen sensor at a time and gave up on that one. If you replace the solenoids and some wires but still have problems consider just re-wiring the whole thing instead of going 1 wire at a time. When I walk outside and its negative 5* degrees I for one want to KNOW my car is going to start every time and stay on too. Better safe than sorry; a car with an electronic problem can get you killed on the highway easily!

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Well i Found it back on Christmas eve, turned out to be the pink wire that runs into the PCM right next to the engine mount in the front. The wire looked corroded so i guess when i barley moved it, the thing broke off. Fixed it and all is good. And Pancero i decided to take this on in a mechanics shop where im an apprentice at. Im learning to become a mechanic so why should i pass this job onto someone else? I saved hundreds of dollars doing this myself, and i took my time to polish everything off which a shop wouldnt have done :|

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Glad you found it was something simple and stupid 8) .

thewubs

n00b
Nov 4, 2013
I appear to be having the same exact problem, verbatim, as Lorenzo did. Fixed gasket, replaced upper intake manifold with revised Dorman part, but when attempting to drive, CEL with codes p1860/p0753/p0758, as well as virtually no movement from car. Any suggestions as to a fix? One of you suggested another 12v wire that gets power when ignition is on - seems to be good in theory - but if I wanted to fix it another way, are there any other options?

Sorry for the necropost, but I've been trying to diagnose this problem for a couple days now, and this is the ONLY similar situation that I found with my google-fu.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
DRIVEN said:
I think you need to double and triple check your wiring -- specifically the grounds. It's just too coincidental that there were no problems before but 3 electrical (solenoid) codes after the repair.

thewubs

n00b
Nov 4, 2013
I'll check them all again. I retightened them all already but may have farked something in the process. Cool projects in the other thread, by the way.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
thewubs said:
I'll check them all again. I retightened them all already but may have farked something in the process. Cool projects in the other thread, by the way.

Just sent you a PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor