79 H/O in NJ

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I wonder why only $5000? Interior completely roached?

Edit: Just looked at the pics. Not bad.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Doesn't look too bad. Paint looks rough in spots. Looks like its all there. Wonder how it is underneath. To me, in the photos, it looks like the rear seat has vinyl upholstery, and the front seats have cloth upholstery. The cloth upholstery is correct for these cars, isn't it?

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Cloth or vinyl could be had in either black or tan ONLY. BLACK OR WHITE VINYL ONLY. (corrected info).

My observations (which mean nothing): I guess some people think it should be worth more? It does appear 99% complete. Needs some serious TLC. Not 100% sure I'd personally jump on it for $5k (I'd offer $4500 cash on the barrel head right now at most if I were going to try and buy it) but I guess you can ask anything you like. Depends on the underside big time. The bigger questions: How is the frame? Any floor rot? If it's not crusty underneath, it may be worth a look. Wonder what the deal is with the primer on the quarter panel? What's going on there? And under the trunklid? How's all that look in there? If it's rust free and solid, it's probably worth the extra coin if no rot anywhere.

I guess if you're wanting max money for a car, you may want to clean it up some under the hood and interior. It looks to me like it's sat for a good while somewhere, and a lot of settled dirt is everywhere under the hood and in the interior. Console dirt buidup alone tells me that the interior needs a deep cleaning. Big plus is no T-tops. That saves a lot of interiors. I'm guessing the car came with vinyl since the back seats don't wear out as fast as the front seats. Just speculating. So I'd redo the vinyl front and back if I were going to do it.

All in all it's not a bad starter kit. I've seen much worse.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
Black cloth wasn't available on the 1979 Hurst, only black vinyl. The camel tan was available in both cloth and vinyl and the oyster white was vinyl only. Mine has the black vinyl and my wife's car that we sold 7 years ago had the tan vinyl. In my observations over the years, white is the rarest color followed by black. Most cars seem to have tan interiors.
I like how the ad for the car lists it as having a manual transmission. Looks solid and complete except for the hood ornament. The black Calais ornament was only on the H/O and pops up online for at least $350 or more.
The car still has the hose that goes from the air cleaner to the radiator support. Most are long gone. The exhaust tips look fairly new so do we assume the rest of the system is the same? The car might have been repainted at one time since the wrong H/O emblems are in place. They should be black and gold. The ones on the car are the earlier style for 1968-75 cars. Plus, the W30 emblems are positioned too high on the front fenders. They should be almost resting on the side marker light. Another area for concern is the passenger side quarter panel. Did it have an accident in this area? That could explain why that H/O rim is not on the car. How are the rear frame rails? How's the headliner? Any mechanical issues? Lots of unknowns until you talk to the seller.
But... $5K is IMO a very reasonable price. It's a good starting point for a complete car. I'd consider it myself if I had the room. I'd be neat (and maybe a little confusing) to have 2 identical cars in the garage.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Black cloth wasn't available on the 1979 Hurst, only black vinyl. The camel tan was available in both cloth and vinyl and the oyster white was vinyl only. Mine has the black vinyl and my wife's car that we sold 7 years ago had the tan vinyl. In my observations over the years, white is the rarest color followed by black. Most cars seem to have tan interiors.
Good call out. I corrected my previous post. Upon closer look, the front cloth isn't even the right pattern.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
The car definitely has potential, especially if it has its original matching numbers engine and transmission. If the frame rails, floors, trunk, and body are sound then it'd be a good buy. Mechanical issues and cosmetics can be addressed fairly easily. Missing parts make a project a challenge, but considering it looks to be complete (except the hood ornament) it would make for a nice weekend driver that could be upgraded as you used it.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Cloth or vinyl could be had in either black or tan.

My observations (which mean nothing): I guess some people think it should be worth more? It does appear 99% complete. Needs some serious TLC. Not 100% sure I'd personally jump on it for $5k (I'd offer $4500 cash on the barrel head right now at most if I were going to try and buy it) but I guess you can ask anything you like. Depends on the underside big time. The bigger questions: How is the frame? Any floor rot? If it's not crusty underneath, it may be worth a look. Wonder what the deal is with the primer on the quarter panel? What's going on there? And under the trunklid? How's all that look in there? If it's rust free and solid, it's probably worth the extra coin if no rot anywhere.

I guess if you're wanting max money for a car, you may want to clean it up some under the hood and interior. It looks to me like it's sat for a good while somewhere, and a lot of settled dirt is everywhere under the hood and in the interior. Console dirt buidup alone tells me that the interior needs a deep cleaning. Big plus is no T-tops. That saves a lot of interiors. I'm guessing the car came with vinyl since the back seats don't wear out as fast as the front seats. Just speculating. So I'd redo the vinyl front and back if I were going to do it.

All in all it's not a bad starter kit. I've seen much worse.
Friend of mine paid $1500 for this one in NJ in 2020. Was a complete rot box, and was pretty much junk, before my friend wrecked it. $5k seems like a decent price to start.

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 35
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Looks like it is already gone.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor