81 Caballero door

81 Caballero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2021
Hey guys! So I have a problem with my driver side door closing correctly. I don’t see a sag, but when I close it, it seems like it’s not griping the striker. I have to slam the door pretty hard for it to actually close tight. Do I need a new striker, because I’ve bought some before and that didn’t seem to work if I remember correctly.

Thanks

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Have you tried to adjust it..up down side to side. Also, what condition is your hinge pins and bushings in? You said the door doesn't sag.
I guess it's easy enough to determine if the striker pin has significant wear. I'd still try to adjust it first and apply some grease to the pin and latch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

81 Caballero

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 24, 2021
Have you tried to adjust it..up down side to side. Also, what condition is your hinge pins and bushings in? You said the door doesn't sag.
I guess it's easy enough to determine if the striker pin has significant wear. I'd still try to adjust it first and apply some grease to the pin and latch.
The hinges seem fine. You mean adjust the striker up and down?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Hey guys! So I have a problem with my driver side door closing correctly. I don’t see a sag, but when I close it, it seems like it’s not griping the striker. I have to slam the door pretty hard for it to actually close tight. Do I need a new striker, because I’ve bought some before and that didn’t seem to work if I remember correctly.

Thanks
Jack's on the rite track with the striker position might need some attention.
roll the window down and close the door see if the amount of resistance changes.a lot of times with these frameless window designs a missadjusted window will push back on you and it can feel like a door fitment.

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Are you sure there's no sag at the hinges? Because strikers don't really move unless messed with.

Open door fully. try to pick up door at the back end. If it moves at all (up/down) you've got pin /bushing problems

These doors are HEAVY and hard on pins/bushings, especially since the general public never lubes them

Pic of striker, and vehicle with door closed would help diagnosis

Every G body I've ever bought needed pins/bushings, even the one that was 9 years old

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor