A6 Compressors

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Since the R4 compressor is fanous for leaking/short lifespan, I have been considering going back to an A6 compressor. Anybody still using one?

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Buy a good quality R-4. Flush entire system out(All components including hoses) Add correct amount and type of oil to each component(usually 10 ounces to whole system). Use a vacuum pump that boils water and pump as long as you can. On large systems i would go overnight. Add the correct amount of R-134A and you will get years of good service. PM me if any questions.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Watching as I need to do an A-6 for my 1970 Cutlass.

And I still have a sheetload of R12.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Buy a good quality R-4. Flush entire system out(All components including hoses) Add correct amount and type of oil to each component(usually 10 ounces to whole system). Use a vacuum pump that boils water and pump as long as you can. On large systems i would go overnight. Add the correct amount of R-134A and you will get years of good service. PM me if any questions.
So what is your reasoning for using an R4?
I have all the bracketry for both systems.

Back when I was driving the previous generation of GM intermediates never really had an issue with an A6 compressor. Wish I could say the same for R4s, including some OE installations

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It's been my understanding that the key is don't Rev the R4 past 4500 RPM. I haven't personally experienced bad service out of an OE R4.

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
So what is your reasoning for using an R4?
I have all the bracketry for both systems.

Back when I was driving the previous generation of GM intermediates never really had an issue with an A6 compressor. Wish I could say the same for R4s, including some OE installations
Lighter and more efficient.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
It's been my understanding that the key is don't Rev the R4 past 4500 RPM. I haven't personally experienced bad service out of an OE R4.
For that reason I installed the Oldsmobile wide open throttle compressor cut out switch on the pedal of my Malibu.
I run an oem serpentine belt drive that is a mixture of 88-92 F body and B body components. I installed a brand new AC Delco compressor. I still run R12 in mine.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor