Hooker 2551-2HKR

1985MonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2020
Hi, trying to find anyone that has tried to or has installed the 2551-2hkr headers on a G body. These seem like a nice option for pretty cheap, 409 stainless - 1.75 primary -3" collector. Advance auto has a special right now and I can have them at my door for $220! I am looking to install on a 1985 Monte Carlo, 406 SBC, A/C delete, double hump crossmember, aluminum Edelbrock performer RPM head. Jegs/Summit shows them fitting the G body platform, but Holly website shows 1974 - 1975 Monte Carlo only.
If no experience maybe someone can answer what the main difference in fitment would be between a 1974 Monte and 1985 Monte. Thank you

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
Hi, trying to find anyone that has tried to or has installed the 2551-2hkr headers on a G body. These seem like a nice option for pretty cheap, 409 stainless - 1.75 primary -3" collector. Advance auto has a special right now and I can have them at my door for $220! I am looking to install on a 1985 Monte Carlo, 406 SBC, A/C delete, double hump crossmember, aluminum Edelbrock performer RPM head. Jegs/Summit shows them fitting the G body platform, but Holly website shows 1974 - 1975 Monte Carlo only.
If no experience maybe someone can answer what the main difference in fitment would be between a 1974 Monte and 1985 Monte. Thank you
So regarding your post I to am looking for a decent set of headers for my '81 El Camino / Malibu. The aftermarket even Holly hasn't took much notice of G-Bodies apparently. I mean how many malibus and El caminos, Monty's, and others are looking for some decent headers. How many of them old v6's have been swapped with a small block come on I'll bet it's in the hundreds of thousands and yet nobody is making a good header, wtf. I see a big market for them but I'm just one little squirt in a big puddle.

1985MonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2020
So regarding your post I to am looking for a decent set of headers for my '81 El Camino / Malibu. The aftermarket even Holly hasn't took much notice of G-Bodies apparently. I mean how many malibus and El caminos, Monty's, and others are looking for some decent headers. How many of them old v6's have been swapped with a small block come on I'll bet it's in the hundreds of thousands and yet nobody is making a good header, wtf. I see a big market for them but I'm just one little squirt in a big puddle.
I did call Holly yesterday and they could not confirm nor deny the fitment of these headers on a G body. The tech made it sound like more of an emissions conflict and a good possibility they fit a G body. I also saw a review on Summit where someone installed on a 86 Cutlass with a SBC. I took a gamble and ordered the headers and they are arriving tomorrow. Not sure I can return if they don't fit but for $220 it is worth a shot to me.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyD

Apprentice
Feb 16, 2021
Umatilla, Florida
I looked all around yesterday on my advanced Auto parts website which I am signed up for lol and I could not find those headers anywhere. I'm thinking it must be a regional thing but for 220 bucks if I could have found them I would give it a shot too it is hard to find headers to specifically fit an El Camino versus a Malibu or Monty. Keep me posted if you don't mind and good luck with them I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I looked all around yesterday on my advanced Auto parts website which I am signed up for lol and I could not find those headers anywhere. I'm thinking it must be a regional thing but for 220 bucks if I could have found them I would give it a shot too it is hard to find headers to specifically fit an El Camino versus a Malibu or Monty. Keep me posted if you don't mind and good luck with them I'm looking forward to seeing how they fit.
The ElCo's are the same up front as a Malibu as far as the engine compartment. Spacing with the front suspension/steering/firewall/AC box are the same.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

1985MonteSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 25, 2020
My shipping notice says they are coming from Kentucky and will arrive to me in Michigan tomorrow. Here is the link https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...aders-2551-2hkr/50005270-P?selectedStore=5413
They are $264 here but there is a SPRING $50 discount code and free shipping. Holley sells them for $312. I am hoping to get these installed this weekend and will post results.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
My '67 Camaro headers fit in my '78 Malibu better than the headers I specifically ordered for my '79 Malibu. But after pulling them in and out a gazillion times and heating the trouble spots with an inductive heating element and dinging them, they fit fine now.

Kiko

Master Mechanic
Apr 14, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Hi, trying to find anyone that has tried to or has installed the 2551-2hkr headers on a G body.

Hi! I hope that I'm not "in left field" with this reply. I'm not sure if you're looking for headers for a G-body or are you very specific to the make and model. I have a 1983 GP that is outfitted with a big block and I've installed Hooker Super Competition headers (#2241-1). They came painted black, but I had them ceramic-coated locally. They fit perfectly with just a little bit of "convincing" in one area -- tight against the inner plastic wheel well cover. Here are some pics.

I hope this helps.
Andry

Attachments

• Headers - Original.jpg
    Headers - Original.jpg
    540.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Headers - Coated.jpg
    Headers - Coated.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Engine Bay.jpg
    Engine Bay.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor