hows your thermostate

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello peoples: I decided to go with the 180. The guy who makes the chip recommends the 160 and says U can run a 180 but the fan will come on more. Speaking of stats I bought a high flow 180 stat and always wondered what the hell is that.
IBBY

Reactions: 1 user

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello peoples: I'm doowing a coolant flush before I change out the stat. This flush stuff says to drive around for days or just hours depending how dirty the coolant is. Right now I have no stat, distilled water and the flush stuff. Ambient air in the 50,s and the heat on full . I was surprised that the temp. went from 140 ish to 170 ish. I found it interesting as I thought my 86T would run a lot hotter.
IBBY

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
hello peoples: I decided to go with the 180. The guy who makes the chip recommends the 160 and says U can run a 180 but the fan will come on more. Speaking of stats I bought a high flow 180 stat and always wondered what the hell is that.
IBBY
I ended up getting my fan turn on / turn off set points altered on my chip to better suit the 180 deg T stat.
My fans now come on at 188 deg F & off T 170 deg f
Maybe think about sending your chip back & re-burned to suit the new 180 T stat?

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
hello peoples: I'm doowing a coolant flush before I change out the stat. This flush stuff says to drive around for days or just hours depending how dirty the coolant is. Right now I have no stat, distilled water and the flush stuff. Ambient air in the 50,s and the heat on full . I was surprised that the temp. went from 140 ish to 170 ish. I found it interesting as I thought my 86T would run a lot hotter.
IBBY
Not with no T stat & distilled water. I’m surprised you even got above 150-160 in the cool weather running like that

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Your fan OFF temperature needs to be higher than your thermostat temperature.

Here is the scenario. You get on the highway. Thermostat is regulating at 180. If your fan controller is waiting for 170. It will never get there. So the fan will be on the entire highway ride. No fan needs to run while on the highway. The air coming through the grill will outperform any fan plus it's a waste of energy to run it while on the highway.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Newer stuff thats computer controlled the fans are set to turn off above a certain speed, 80's cars with a cable driven speedo that's probably not an option if you run an aftermarket setup to control electric fans.

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
I ended up getting my fan turn on / turn off set points altered on my chip to better suit the 180 deg T stat.
My fans now come on at 188 deg F & off T 170 deg f
Maybe think about sending your chip back & re-burned to suit the new 180 T stat?
hello: Did U run your TB without the chip change and the 180 stat. If so what happened.
thanks
IBBY

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor